The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Anchor Shade (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/5810-anchor-shade.html)

ShabahZ280 07-07-2011 06:54 PM

Anchor Shade

6 Attachment(s)
For the past few years, I've been thinking about the addition of a bimini top for shading the sun a bit. We spend quite a bit of time on the sandbars/beaches, anchored, and docked at the marinas. There was only one way to get out of the sun, and that's inside the cabin. Sure it's super comfy and plush, but on a hot day it can get very stuffy and airflow is minimal, even with the hatch fully opened. So I decided to look into a bimini top, but the full setup was going to set me back about $500 when it's all said and done. Then I came across this product made by Taylor Made called the Anchor Shade 2. It's basically a four sided 6'x6' umbrella with straps for attaching the corners to the boat. I had seen these things a few times on various boats, and thought I'd do a little more research online. Well, I read a lot of reviews, and they're really popular in the performance boating world. The only negative thing I had read was how they're not the best in the wind.

With the 4th of July last week, I knew I'd be spending a lot of time in the sun, so I decided to search for one. I found a retailer called Wholesale Marine, and they had the Anchor Shade in stock and at an affordable price of around $160 (about 1/3 the price of a bimini). And even more convenient, they're local, so I had it on my doorstep the next day! It's portable, comes with it's own carrying case, straps, and doesn't require any drilling or additional hardware to be installed. Setup takes all of about 2 minutes, and if you've ever put an umbrella up or down, you've already mastered it! The four corner straps attach to the shade using a simple plastic clip, and have a plastic D-ring located at the other end, which is used to attach to your cleats. You can see in the pics below where I attached mine, and it works well.

It's great for when you're anchored and at the marina. But when the winds pick up, it does sway and flex around a bit. I wouldn't recommend using it in winds above 8-10 knots. I'm experimenting around a little bit to see if there are some ways to strengthen and reduce the sway it in the winds. I'll post my results here.

But overall, I'm really happy with it, and it provides a great shade for a great price. If you're looking for shade while you're anchored, or at the dock, I'd highly recommend the Anchor Shade 2. If you're looking for something to shade you while underway, look into a bimini instead. If you've got any questions about the setup, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer! :wink_thumbup:

mikeyt 07-07-2011 10:05 PM

Re: Anchor Shade

Looks good to me. Any issues working your way around that centre pole after a couple of pops?

darkcalling 07-07-2011 10:36 PM

Lol Mikey thats what I was wondering. It looks great though does it come in buckin or white? ;)

ShabahZ280 07-08-2011 02:40 PM

Yep, according to Taylor Made's site, it's available in "10 dynamic colors". White, Blue, Teal, Red, Navy, Forest Green, Sand, Black, Burgundy and Gray. I chose the black because I thought it'd look the best with my boat.

Mikey, that's a good question. The pole really doesn't get in the way that bad, and despite the many "pops" I had (at the dock) over the July 4th weekend, I was still able to maneuver my way around it. :D