The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Carb Question (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/5419-carb-question.html)

wavewalker 05-04-2011 01:54 AM

Carb Question

I have a 1995 4.3 LX Alpha One. Last fall Boat ran great but when it sets for an hour or so, I have to choke the hoot out of it to get it started. When I'm trolling about every 30 minutes or so I have to speed the engine up or it will die. One mech. told me Carb needs rebuilt.. It only has 118 hrs. What do ya think? Thanks JW

MAJIC 05-04-2011 12:14 PM

Re: Carb Question

sounds like it needs to be rebuilt. Something has got in the float or jets/needles. You could try carb cleaner but I haven't found that especially helpful in these situations.

I don't know where you live, but I either buy gas with ethanol treatment already in it or I add Startron that also has anti-bacterial agents since gas is more susceptible to bacterial growth now.

I have to rebuild the carbs on my 97 Yamaha Virago motorcycle because of that. I know put stabilizer in on every fill.

I hope that helps.

wavewalker 05-06-2011 03:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I live in Kansas. I've tryed cfoam and it helped some. I also put premium gas in it to raise octane level with no help. Sounds like its time for a rebuild. Thanks again. JW

MAJIC 05-06-2011 11:59 AM

Premium won't help carb issues. It may give you better performance and mileage though.

It's the stabilizers you need and automotive pumps don't add any!

wavewalker 05-29-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAJIC (Post 28802)
Premium won't help carb issues. It may give you better performance and mileage though.

It's the stabilizers you need and automotive pumps don't add any!

Ok MAJIC. Thanks again for your help. added fuel treatment and helped a lot. JW

SEMIJim 05-29-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavewalker (Post 28738)
I have a 1995 4.3 LX Alpha One.

We have a 1994 182 Barchetta with a MerCruiser 4.3L V6 and A1, so odds are we have the same drive train. Do you have a 4bbl or 2bbl carburetor?

Quote:

...when it sets for an hour or so, I have to choke the hoot out of it to get it started.

"Choke the hoot out of it?" Our boat has the Rochester 4bbl, and it's an automatic, electric choke. There's no manual controlling of the choke. When you say "choke the hoot out of it," describe what you mean, please?

Quote:

When I'm trolling about every 30 minutes or so I have to speed the engine up or it will die. One mech. told me Carb needs rebuilt..

Sounds like carb issues to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAJIC (Post 28802)

Only if the engine needs premium, and you'd know, by the God-awful racket (pinging due to pre-ignition) it'd raise under load if it did. Premium does nothing at all for an engine that doesn't need it.

Exception: Some brands' premium gasoline blends contain detergents that their regular blends don't. Those detergents are good for keeping injectors clean and working well. But this only matters if you have an injected, not carbureted, engine.

Jim