The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   1991 Diablo Upgrades Questions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/5261-1991-diablo-upgrades-questions.html)

kelster1574 03-22-2011 04:40 PM

1991 Diablo Upgrades Questions

I knwo it's "old" but I just picked up a 1991 Diablo MX 180 in great shape. It is mostly original and I was wondering what upgrades you folks would do, or have done? Here is some of what I have planned so far -

Stainless 4 Blade Prop (currently has an aluminum)

Stereo System (currently has original audiovax)

Hydrofoil (currently has a smaller stingray and I already have one of the newer styles to put on it)

Rims for trailer (tires seem to be in good shape with lots of tread, so maybe just some decent looking rims. The white steel rims have seen better days, looks wise)

ShabahZ280 03-22-2011 05:57 PM

Re: 1991 Diablo Upgrades Questions

Congrats on your "new" Mariah Diablo! :wink_thumbup:

I suggest you browse and search around the forum, all these upgrades have been discussed quite a few times. We've got a specific section called "Prop Talk" where our prop gurus can help you find exactly what you need based on what you'll be using the boat for. Stereos are a VERY common upgrade, so there's many posts about those options. Hydrofoils are usually frowned upon here, many owners usually remove their hydrofoils very quickly in favor of Nauticus Smart Tabs, which seem to have a much more positive effect on the boat's handling. Trailer rims are a very easy upgrade, just make sure you get the same size wheel and tires. Some places like Trailer Parts Superstore will actually sell you the wheel and tires as a combo, they come mounted, inflated, and ready to bolt on, and their prices are very reasonable. You can also check out our Trailering and Tow Vehicles section of the forum.

Paul F 03-23-2011 08:20 PM

Definitely say goodbye to the hydrofoil and get a set of 60lb Smart Tabs. You will be amazed.

kelster1574 03-23-2011 08:59 PM

Already on order. I told my buddy thanks, but that he could keep his hydrofoil.

Paul F 03-23-2011 09:22 PM

Thataboy!!
Your 18 footer will ride like a 20 footer.
Your boat will turn like it's on rails.
You'll be able to teach water skiers more easily as you won't have to fiddle with the throttle as you come out of the hole.
You can tow your tubes at slower speeds and stay on plane.

The list goes on.............

bbrophy58 03-23-2011 10:38 PM

I would add a bimini top to that bad boy. You can get one through iboats that fits perfectly. I believe your boat probably came with a convertible style top. The bimini will update the look and add functionality.

kelster1574 03-24-2011 01:27 AM

Bimini Top - :wink_thumbup:

It actually came with front canvas, bimini top, and with extra canvas and windows that can be zipped in to make full canvas....does that makes sense?

I guess I better double check that it's a bimini and not just a convertible style

ShabahZ280 03-24-2011 06:50 PM

If it snaps to the windshield then it's a convertible style top you've got there. They were one of the most common types available. Bimini tops sit a bit higher and don't attach to the windshield.