The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   1995 z272 Barchetta Purchase Advice (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/5221-1995-z272-barchetta-purchase-advice.html)

JoeDoyle 03-08-2011 02:25 PM

1995 z272 Barchetta Purchase Advice

Hello everyone! I have been reading your posts and think this is a great forum! Thank you for all of the great information about Mariah boats. I am sold on buying a Mariah thanks to you guys.

I am looking for a little advice on buying my first boat. Here is the website for the boat I am interested in:
1995 MARIAH Z272 Barchetta For Sale In Osage Beach, Missouri - BoatTrader.com

Everything looks great so far on this boat (from the pictures) but I am a little worried about the amount of engine hours. There are 600 hours on the Mercruiser 7.4 and I would like to know your opinion about this.
How long do these motors typically run for?
Is 600 hours too much for the asking price? I have searched all over the internet but I cant seem to find what the typical life expectancy is for a Merc 7.4.
What price is fair to offer the seller for this boat?

Thanks for any info or advice that you can give!!!

indykoch 03-08-2011 02:51 PM

Re: 1995 z272 Barchetta Purchase Advice

Welcome aboard! Looks like a great boat! I love the lines and amenities on that model.

The sunpad and stereo surround don't look original, but the "customization" looks good. 600 hours isn't too bad for that year - I've heard about 50 hours per year is average, so this one is on the lower side. A well maintained marine engine is usually good for 1000+ hours. Obviously, it all depends on how well it was maintained, driven, and where (salt vs fresh water). I've also heard a good way to compare with an automotive engine is - 1 hr equals 100 "miles". So a 600 hour engine is roughly equivalent to a 60,000 mile car. If in good condition, plenty of life left!

I'd have a mechanic check it out and do a compression check. The price doesn't sound bad for that year, size, trailer included, condition, etc. Good luck!!!

MAJIC 03-09-2011 12:01 PM

Nice looking boat from the pics. In speaking with 2 different insurance companies, they both consider the average life to be 1,000 hours. So they'll prorate any claims by the ratio of hours to expected life.

That being said, the 7.4 is a strong well made engine. I have some friends with well over 1,000 hours. These have all be fresh water only boats. Much depends on how well they've been maintained.

The price seems a bit high, even with the trailer, but that's just my opinion. :)

Good luck!

Dredd 03-09-2011 03:27 PM

The price doesn't seem too high to me as long as it's not beat up too bad from being on LOTO. A 272 is definitely a sweet boat. I'm sure it would make a good boat if you can get it for the right price.
FWIW, I've heard that a stock 7.4 often outlasts the boat that it's in.