The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   New control box to replace Commander 3000 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4962-new-control-box-replace-commander-3000-a.html)

ncnone 10-12-2010 06:27 PM

New control box to replace Commander 3000

Is there a preferred Mercruiser Control box that will replace the original control box, the Commander 3000, in my 1994 241 Davanti.

I have been told that the Mercruiser will go in "easier" than a TeleflexCH1700. I am hoping someone who has already replaced theirs will offer advice on what is a good choice.

Thank You,
Bruce

DougR 10-15-2010 02:21 AM

Re: New control box to replace Commander 3000

Bruce,

My 3000 just broke last weekend and I ordered a new 4000 comander.
I will have to change the cables along with the controler (this weekend), I will let you know how it goes....

As you have already noticed seems to be a lot of issues with the 3000 series.... Just glad it broke in the slip not two shifts later or earlier.....

ncnone 10-15-2010 06:29 PM

Hi Doug,

Thank You very much. Are there any reasons to choose a 4000 series vs a 5000 series.
Good luck making the change over.
Sincerely,
Bruce

DougR 10-16-2010 02:14 AM

Well, I really like how the Teleflex control looks, however I m trying (for the time being at least) to keep everything OEM and after reading a lot of the reviews and a phone call to Merc everyone I spoke with said this would be my "best" option..
That being said I never even saw a 5000 control.... :(

DougR 10-17-2010 08:43 PM

Bruce,
I replaced the remote this weekend as planed. I would say that the whole project took me about 2.5 hrs and was not at all complex. However, I did have to change both cables and obvioulsy install the new remote but the results are well worth it!
-Doug..
Most common used tool.. .11mm wrench and socket along with a 3/8" socket.

mikeyt 10-17-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougR (Post 26440)
Bruce,
I replaced the remote this weekend as planed. I would say that the whole project took me about 2.5 hrs and was not at all complex. However, I did have to change both cables and obvioulsy install the new remote but the results are well worth it!
-Doug..
Most common used tool.. .11mm wrench and socket along with a 3/8" socket.

hi Doug

Excellent. This would be a good 'how to' write up if you have the time!

ncnone 10-18-2010 12:03 AM

Doug,
Thank You so much for the info. You provide great information. Did you purchase your remote control and cables at a Merc dealer or purchase them online. If online, the website would be a great help.

I again would like to Thank You.
Sincerely,
Bruce

DougR 10-18-2010 10:57 PM

I purchased the cables and remote at Greatlakesskipper.com.
However, I did consult with Merc to make sure I was ordering the correct unit. (Model 883710-A03) this unit includes the trim button on the throttle.

Oh yeah, you may only have to drill two small mounting holes the front bolt should match up with an old hole... (Since this unit mounts with only three bolts versus the older unit that uses four).. Oh just make sure you order the correct length cables most Merc cables have the length printed on them.

Guess I should write this up at some point... :)

ncnone 10-20-2010 02:16 AM

Doug,

Thanks to you, I ordered a Comm. 4000 from your website last night. It was less money, and they have already shipped it for a Friday delivery.

I tip my hat to you sir. Too bad the boat is out for the winter and I have to wait till spring. She ran like a champ all summer. I love this boat.

Again, Thank You.
Most sincerely yours,
Bruce
Lake Winnipesaukee