The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Are the Docking lights worth having???? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4877-docking-lights-worth-having.html)

scubydo 09-17-2010 02:11 AM

Are the Docking lights worth having????

My 96 200 isn't a Z, so I don't have the docking lights, but they look so good, I wondered if they actually lit anything up while you are driving at night. Would they be worth installing and cutting holes in my boat?:eek_animated::eek_animated:

mikeyt 09-17-2010 02:46 AM

Re: Are the Docking lights worth having????

First off you are not allowed to drive with them on at night, that's why they are called "docking" lights;)

I didn't have docking lights on my boat either but rather than go with the traditional ones i found an LED set made by Attwood that only involved drilling a small hole large enough to pass the wiring thru the hull to the light assembly. They were very easy to install and draw very little amperage compared to a standard set of Barnegats. They also do a very good job of spreading the light at a low angle to illuminate the cottage dock when i come in late at night. Here's a link to their website info. And here's a photo of what they look like on my boat:

ShabahZ280 09-17-2010 03:49 AM

Personally I don't find them useful at all. As MikeyT said, you can't drive with them on, and when you do use them for docking, the light isn't bright enough, and it's too narrow of a beam to do anything other than blind the person helping you get it on the trailer. The 55w halogen bulbs barely light up 2 ft in front of the boat (Now MikeyT's may be much more bright and useful with the LED bulbs). If your boat didn't come with them, my gut instinct is to say no, they're not worth the $$ or the time and effort to install, but the choice is yours!

MAJIC 09-17-2010 11:40 AM

I agree with ShabahZ250. Tried them once. Completely useless. Look good, no value. Like the old Bradley GT kits for the old VW's...

indykoch 09-17-2010 02:08 PM

Wow! I don't know if it's the area you guys boat or what... I truly find them quite useful when pulling into my slip. It's dark as can be, tight quarters, and the lights really help. I also find them useful for a quick on and off sequence when trying to see the reflective tape on buoys, etc. It sure beats the old hand-held spotlight. A friend of mine doesn't have them, and when he's on my boat he always comments how great they are for pulling into the slip (his boat is right next to mine - he even added solar landscape lights to the end of the dock because he could never see anything).

As far as being worth it... I may agree with the others. They're terribly expensive and require serious cutting into the hull. That's a personal choice, though.

aaron999888 09-20-2010 04:59 AM

I also love my docking lights. I dont use them often, but when I do come in at night it is so nice to be able to be able to flip them on. They do well at lighting up the reflective strips on buoys and also light up the trailor and slips.

Captain Steve 09-21-2010 01:27 AM

Everybody has this right. Docking lights are excellent when docking in the dark. I have the stainless "Z" lights and used them once when coming off Lake Michigan in the dark at Portage, Indiana's marina. Lit up the boat ramp and trailer like it was daylight. Otherwise I have never used them except to light up my garage. :light_saber:

mikeyt 09-21-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Steve (Post 25922)
Everybody has this right. :

Thank you for your approval. ;)

Shabah 198SE 09-21-2010 10:24 PM

Out of curiosity, who's docking lights were used by Mariah?

Shabah 198SE

indykoch 09-21-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabah 198SE (Post 25936)
Out of curiosity, who's docking lights were used by Mariah?

Shabah 198SE

-Thru-Hull Docking Lights
Barnegat Light Marine Products
Model QL-3294/L White with molded in lens.
Model QL-3294 White without Lens
Model QL-32-SS Stainless Steel
Main Page