The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   trim gauge (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4388-trim-gauge.html)

tobqluu 07-03-2010 05:56 AM

trim gauge

Hello, wonder if anybody could point me in the right direction.
The trim gauge needle is all the way up and stay in the up position. The trailer up/down work fine. The trim button only work on the down position but not the up position. I open the trim button and put a meter to it have
12V on the down but no voltage at all on the up position and seem that its cut or wire is broken somewhere.
its a 1994 Mariah Talari Z200.

Thanks!

SEMIJim 07-04-2010 04:14 AM

Re: trim gauge

Usually, not always, but usually, trim up not working, when trim down and trailering do work indicates a bad trim sensor. You see: You're not supposed to operate the engine, much less the outdrive, with the outdrive above about 50%. That's why trim up stops at that point. If the trim sensor doesn't work, there's no way to tell if the drive has reached maximum operating trim up, so the trim up button won't work.

Make sense?

Jim

Jimh23 07-04-2010 10:23 PM

Most likely it is the starboard trim sensor causing the problem. Probably the wire(s) to it are disconnected.

guyjusthere 06-26-2012 12:01 AM

Where are the trim sensors? Can you be more specific, because I have this same issue

mikeyt 06-26-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyjusthere (Post 37050)
Where are the trim sensors? Can you be more specific, because I have this same issue

Check this link at "How Do I..." for instructions & pics. This is a really common problem with Merc outdrives & if adjustment does not work, then replacement is your other option but that means the outdrive has to be removed. Most people just live with the problem.

Oregondunes 06-26-2012 07:19 AM

had a similar problem last time out, replaced the sensor and all is well again.

guyjusthere 06-27-2012 03:11 PM

That looks like a PITA to change. You have to take off a bunch of things to unscrew it!! arg. Live without.

Anyways I am dealing with a larger issue of the oil being overfilled andl smelling like fuel (also looks like dark choc milk) & my engine running rich (black spark plugs). So, I'm bummed all around.

Dredd 07-02-2012 03:20 PM

Dark and milky or just dark? Really dark indicates gas in the oil. Milky indicates water.
It sounds like it is running so rich that it is getting gas in the oil. My Mariah did this, I rebuilt the carb and all was well.

PlumLazy 07-05-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyjusthere (Post 37096)
That looks like a PITA to change. You have to take off a bunch of things to unscrew it!! arg. Live without.

Anyways I am dealing with a larger issue of the oil being overfilled andl smelling like fuel (also looks like dark choc milk) & my engine running rich (black spark plugs). So, I'm bummed all around.

Don't run the engine at all until you find out what's filling your crankcase... You may have already damaged your engine. Sometimes a mechanical fuel pump failure can fill the crankcase with gas... Or as dredd mentioned, the carburetor can cause it especially if you have a bad float-bowl needle and seat allowing it to overfill the carb and spill into the intake.