The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   ss prop.........help (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4271-ss-prop-help.html)

difran25 06-16-2010 12:25 AM

ss prop.........help

hi i just bought a ss prop for my alpha 1. problem is, i went to put it on today and it had its own hub in it but when i put it on it almost seems like the shaft sticks out too much. i have the thrust washer on. i put the nut on and it bottomed out and does not touch the prop. there is a 1/4" of play between the nut and prop. is there a spacer i need or anything???

mikeyt 06-16-2010 12:45 AM

Re: ss prop.........help

The prop is as easy as you thought to change but there are a few things to look out for..
If your changing to any different prop you need to make sure that your backing spacer fits the new prop correctly. You may have to replace it to fit the prop you are changing to. The prop vendor should be able to advise you on this.
Also, if you are buying a Quicksiler Typhoon prop, make sure you buy the prop hub too if you don't already have it.... most of these props/hubs come seperately now a days.

Lets just walk thru the steps...courtesy of "wonderhowto.com"

Gather together all prop installation items such as your Thrust Washer, Hub Kit, Locking Tab Washer, Splined Washer and Nut.
Size your prop nut and get the correct size wrench. Most Mercruiser Alpha and Bravo One drives use a 1-1/16" size wrench. A deep socket with a breaker bar works very well.
Clean your propshaft making sure to clean out each and every spline groove.
Inspect your propshaft seals for fishing string, rips, corrosion damage or oil leaks.
Slip your thrust washer up onto the propshaft so it neatly seats up against the propshaft camfer.
Grease your propshaft with Mercruiser Anti-Corrosion Grease, Mercruiser 2-4-C grease or Special Lube 101.
Insert FloTorque Plastic sleeve if so equipped.
Insert the FloTorque II splined hub.
Install the prop onto the propshaft until it goes all the way forward against the thrust washer.
Install a new locking tab washer.
Install the prop nut using the correct wrench. Torque the prop nut (Alpha and Bravo One to 55 ft pounds. You can use a board between the prop and the cavitation plate to keep the prop from turning. Use care not to crack the plate.
Spin the prop by hand to make sure it clears the trim tab anode and that it is not binding or rubbing the case.

difran25 06-16-2010 01:08 AM

i know how to change a prop. im just wondering if anyone has had this problem. is there a thincker thrust washer that i would need?

mikeyt 06-16-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by difran25 (Post 22942)
i know how to change a prop. im just wondering if anyone has had this problem. is there a thincker thrust washer that i would need?

I'm sure you do. As the note said, you may need a different backing spacer.