The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   First outing of the season a bust (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/4081-first-outing-season-bust.html)

Nathan5678 05-18-2010 02:34 AM

First outing of the season a bust

Well we made our first outing to the lake on Sunday and it didn't go so well. We got the boat in the water and made our way to our favorite cove, beached the boat and started to unload. Just about that time the bilge pump kick on and pumped a large amount of water out. I open the engine hatch to the sound of a running, dripping water (never a good sound on a boat). So I tried in vain to find the source of the leak neck deep in 65 degree water. So we packed it up, head in and spent the rest of the day a the marina's beach. Once I got home I finally was able to inspect the outdrive fully and found a large tear in the shift cable bellow. So I dropped the boat of at the shop today and I'm waiting to hear back what the kind of damage this is going to do to my wallet. I am thinking I will have them replace all the bellows and maybe the gimbal bearings but I am going to see what they quote me price wise first. Oh well got have a fat wallet if you want to own a boat. Hopefully the rest of the season goes better.

indykoch 05-18-2010 03:45 AM

Re: First outing of the season a bust

Sorry about your luck first day out. Unfortunately, that's when most things happen - that first time out after storage.

I would highly suggest the gimbal bearing, u-joints, and all bellows replaced at the same time. They have to remove the lower unit and tear into everything anyway. Maybe he'll work a deal with you to only pay parts prices since you're already paying labor to dig into it that far anyway.

Good luck!

Dredd 05-18-2010 01:46 PM

Yup, sorry to hear too. It could be way worse though. I can imagine your panicky feeling when you saw the water :| At least it shouldn't be long and you'll be back out again.

Tom 05-19-2010 07:13 PM

This happened to us 3 years ago when we first got the boat. Replaced all the bellows and the impeller, but everything else was fine and I told him to replace if there was any doubt. He did the shift cable too-forgot that! It cost just shy of $ 800. I just had to replace the trim sending unit as that has gone bad. I traded a prop for the sending units and did it myself.

Nathan5678 05-21-2010 02:51 AM

Well $840.00 later I got the boat back today.They changed the bellows, shift cable and bushing, impeller, gear oil, and gimble bearing. Oh well hopefully the rest of the season will go better.

Dredd 05-21-2010 04:19 PM

Man that price seems high to me. Good luck with the rest of your season, Nathan. Hope your weekend weather forecast looks as good as ours.

RKgrubbs 06-14-2010 06:25 AM

I got stuck with 1100 bucks for about the same thing...... plus pulling from the lake and puttng it back.