The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   How to remove buttons from console/dash (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3927-how-remove-buttons-console-dash.html)

jasfiveo 04-17-2010 09:53 PM

How to remove buttons from console/dash

I bought a new black trim face plate (the one that goes around the radio,etc.) that replaces the plastic one. My question is how does the power seat, air/sea temp, and sundeck switch come off. They have to be removed to get on the new plate. Do they just pop off or does the entire switch pull out. I really don't want to use force (you know the old saying don't force it) and with them being sixteen years old and all. Please let me know if there is a trick so I can get this crap finished. Thanks

WetWilly 04-17-2010 10:50 PM

Re: How to remove buttons from console/dash

Hi jasfiveo, the entire switch body is snapped in, they're held in place by fingers on the top and bottom and the switch comes out from the front. You may need a little rocking motion up and down to get them out or if you get to them from behind, squeeze the top and bottom fingers and they should push out easily.

Good luck,
WetWilly

jasfiveo 04-17-2010 11:40 PM

Thanks. Been working all day on the boat and it will just have to wait until tomorrow. Few more weeks and back to the lake I go. Thanks again.

jasfiveo 04-19-2010 08:10 PM

Just replaced the plastic trim piece around the radio with a steel one I got from a member on this site. It looks great. If you ever have to remove all the switches you better get a camera and a note pad. I have never seen so many wires going from one place to another. Rather intimidating but its done.

WetWilly 04-19-2010 09:57 PM

Hey jasfiveo, great to hear everything went well! I should have referred you to our library, we just happen to have a wiring diagram for the earlier stereo panel :rolleyes:

WetWilly

dlowings 04-20-2010 01:57 PM

Did you have any issue putting the Water / Air Temp LED in the new one? How did you go about that..

jasfiveo 04-20-2010 06:10 PM

It was glued onto the old plastic trim piece and I just took a small wood chisel and lightly tapped under the glue and it popped right off. Just take your time so when it pops off the screw head is still attached. Just reglued it onto the new metal trim piece with Loctite.

dlowings 04-20-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasfiveo (Post 21525)
It was glued onto the old plastic trim piece and I just took a small wood chisel and lightly tapped under the glue and it popped right off. Just take your time so when it pops off the screw head is still attached. Just reglued it onto the new metal trim piece with Loctite.

That's odd, mine had 4 screw bolts and had plasic nuts on them.. I ended up breaking it away from the old 4 attach points and then turned the screw bolts around.. So will loctite adhere the plastif face to the new metal face plate ? What loctite did you use ?

jasfiveo 04-20-2010 09:13 PM

Let me try this again. It has four bolts that it is attached to. The bolt heads are glued onto the plastic trim piece. I removed the trim piece after disconnecting everything and the display was still attached. I removed the nuts and slid the display (glass and led screen) off and all that remained was the four bolts that were glued onto the face plate. I removed the bolts from the glue like I mentioned with a very narrow chisel. I then took the bolts off put the display back together and draw an outline around it on the new faceplate with a sharpie. That ensured that it was centered. I then placed Loctite on the bolts and let it dry for several hours. I hope that is more detailed. I did so much to the stereo and boat yesterday my mind is not all that great. I can send you a pic of the new plate with the led attached if you would like...just let me know your email as I am not familiar with posting thumbnails on this site yet.