The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Depth Finder works the first minutes then mad (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3779-depth-finder-works-first-minutes-then-mad.html)

ebb8827 03-16-2010 01:58 PM

Depth Finder works the first minutes then mad

Hello all,

I have a problem with my depth finder. I searched the forum but I found no real fitting answer.
The behavior is a little bit strange. When I start from the marina it works fine and everything is normal. After driving some minutes the display starts to blink and the numbers are getting really high.
Normally that’s the point when I switch off.
After some hours anchoring at a nice spot it starts working again.
Does anybody have an idea what is wrong?

Peter

jdecoudres 03-16-2010 09:20 PM

Re: Depth Finder works the first minutes then mad

I have that problem also. But mine has got worse as in it dont give a depth at all or it is really really high. this is my 2nd depth finder in a 2008 mariah boat. Any help would be appricated

mikeyt 03-17-2010 12:29 AM

I'm not sure about the new Mariah boats but the old ones usually have the sensor epoxied into the hull just beneath the engine. If the transducer has started to come loose the display will act a little screwy. Some others have had problems with theirs & if you want you can read about it here
You might also want to check the wiring connections at both ends to ensure they are clean/dry/tight.

lomitabob 03-17-2010 10:53 PM

Mine was mounted in a plastic ring and locked in. The inside of the ring is supposed to be full of fluid. I use mineral oil. This transmits the signal through the liquid then the hull to the water. When there is an air gap the signal cannot go through properly. Mine was blinking and showing crazy depths and stopped after I replaced the fluid. Now I do it at the start of every season and have not had the problem for a couple of years. Hope it helps...

ebb8827 03-18-2010 12:59 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I will check this when I'm out the next time. At the moment the waterlevel is too low.

Regards Peter

jdecoudres 03-22-2010 04:09 AM

Guess im kind of dumb or not familar with depth finders but what excetly should we be checking the fluid in? and where is it located

ShabahZ280 03-22-2010 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not every transducer has fluid. I believe they might have used a newer transducer in the mid 2000-2001 models. They used the Lowrance transducers for many years, the PD-N model. Check to make sure the epoxy on the depth finder platform hasn't broken loose in the bilge area. That's the main reason mine stopped working. If you can't find it, it's directly below the engine, looks like a hockey puck... See the attached picture... Usually there's an engine mounted there which makes it incredibly hard to get to. :)

CarolinaKipper 03-23-2010 03:11 PM

Mine does the same thing - I usually just use it at slow speeds - and if I get some Crazy 700 ft plus number - I just shut it off. If there is a fix, that works, I would definatley do it. The transducer is in the engine compartment you say? Near the stern or out drive. I was looking at Chris's thumbnail, and cant tell if he is looking to the bow ot to the stern?

indykoch 03-23-2010 03:52 PM

That picture is facing the stern (the engine has been removed, but the "Y" exhaust pipe and transom assy. are there. Mine is located in just about the same place. It's easy to find, but hard to get to.