The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Boat Mechanics in South Florida (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3658-boat-mechanics-south-florida.html)

Ederickson 01-23-2010 03:46 PM

Boat Mechanics in South Florida

Hi all,

Here taking a long shot...Does anyone live in South Eastern Florida (I'm in Boca Raton) know of a reputable boat mechanic:??? It is possible I may need a soleniod replaced on my starter... have no idea what this entails or how much something like this might cost, so now starts the fun of finding a trustworthy mechanic. Any advise or referrals would be greatly appreciated. LIZ :worry_to_laugh:

SEMIJim 01-24-2010 10:20 PM

Re: Boat Mechanics in South Florida

Lacking any feedback here, hit the web. Use the search engines. It may take a lot of digging and it may not turn up anything useful. Find out what mechanics and service places are in your area and go talk to them. Any marinas around? Visit those. Talk to other boat owners in the area.

Do not ignore your "gut feel." If a place or mechanic doesn't "feel right," it/he is probably a place to avoid.

If all else fails: Get no less than three quotes for the work, from reputable (i.e.: Not fly-by-night) shops or mechanics. Take the one that gives you the best gut feel at the price you believe to be reasonable.

Good luck!

Jim

Ederickson 01-24-2010 11:28 PM

Thanks Jim, Good advice and what I'm now feeling that is what I am resigned to do.. I usually get lucky and find great "inside" contacts when approaching things that I'm unable to do myself through networking, etc. I will inquire with some other boat owners in the area, I'm not one to just go to the nearest Marina, as I've been ripped off going that route in the past. Thanks again for your response. Liz

rlwoo10 01-25-2010 04:30 AM

I just had a starter replaced on my jubilee...the marina was too expensive so i went to a car mechanic. It was a 200.00 job. The marina said they might have to pull the motor to get to it, but my mechanic took off one of the manifolds to allow access. Im in North Alabama, but maybe a car mechanic you trust could help you. Mine did!

Ederickson 01-25-2010 04:46 AM

Thanks so much for the info... I think I will try that route. Liz:wink_thumbup:

mikeyt 01-25-2010 01:12 PM

Just ensure that if they replace anything, that they use a marine part & not just an auto part.

ShabahZ280 01-25-2010 07:19 PM

x2 What MikeyT said.... DO NOT use automotive parts on a marine engine. It's a common misconception that since it's a GM block, that standard auto parts will work on it. Use ONLY marine parts.

Ederickson 01-25-2010 08:05 PM

Thanks so much for the reinforcement. People that don't know or want to sell parts tell you different things. I did find a car mechanic that is trustworthy that said he'd put it in, no problem if I have the part. I'm still not certain whether the whole starter needs to be replaced if the selanoid is just sticking... it's been pouring here all day so I'm not even ventured out to take the cover off.. stilll ponding the extent of the problem. Any thoughts? I appreciate your feedback :) LIZ

SEMIJim 01-25-2010 11:13 PM

Please describe the symptoms, Liz.

Jim

Ederickson 01-26-2010 05:55 PM

It went from normal attempts to turn over and on the third try, it just made a smooth spinning, weeing sound, which has been the case siince. The conditions which I was attempting to start the boat was in very heavy rain storm, I rushed out to the dock in the middle of the night to put the cover on as we had several inches of rainfall which came down quick and the engine compartment had quite a bit of water in it. The bildge pump didn't kick on (another issue, I have to turn it on at the counsel). So I don't know if the starter was in water and attempting to start it under those conditions would cause the selanoid to stick or if the starter is shot. Thanks, LIZ