The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Lower Unit will not engage (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3461-lower-unit-will-not-engage.html)

All In 10-29-2009 07:01 PM

Lower Unit will not engage

I have a problem and thought you all might have some pointers for me.
First I plan on doing all the work myself as it is the end of the season and I will have all winter to deal with this. This summer the boat ran great all summer and then it struck. I was being friendly and towing a pontoon of my friends back to the dock when out of no where my boat quit moving forward. The engine was on and it was still in gear it was just not moving forward. I took it out of gear and tried again and nothing. I turned to engine off and restarted it. It started on the first crank and the motor will rev but nothing is transfering down to the prop. The prop is on and installed correctly. Might help if I tell you what I have. It is a 20' Mariah Shabaa. It has the alpha 1 outdrive and a 4.3 L V6. The boat has always run great with no problems what so ever. That is crazy considering I do all the work to her myself. She gets winterized and tuned up every year and I change the oil about twice a year not including when I put her to sleep and wake her up so a total of 4 times a year. I guess I am hoping that this is not as big of a problem that it seems to be up front. Anything that you guys can tell me will be put to work asap on the problem. I will be checking back often to see if there is any input on the situation that I have put myself in.

Thanks in advance for anything and everything
Jeff

indykoch 10-29-2009 08:09 PM

Re: Lower Unit will not engage

Could be a number of things. Spun hub in the prop, broken coupler, broken U-joint, etc.

Does it sound like its going into gear? If its in gear, can you turn the prop (with the engine off, of course)?

ShabahZ280 10-30-2009 01:48 AM

Did you notice any unusual noises when you stopped moving? Like a rubber squeal noise?

And are you available to spin the prop freely either way?

All In 11-01-2009 05:33 PM

the prop will spin freely to the right but not to the left. I romoved the prop and there is nothing torn up in that area. Inside the prop or the shaft so I am beginning to think that it is something more involved. I did not notice any kind of noise at all when this happened. I had been pulling him for about ten minutes when he wanted something off my boat so I put it in neutral, when I went to take off again I had nothing. everything is operating correctly except the prop. It is like the lower unit is not being told that it needs to be in gear. When I push the throtle down the engine revs as if it is in neutral.

ShabahZ280 11-03-2009 01:17 AM

sounds a lot like an engine coupler... get it to a mercruiser mechanic and have them check it out...

indykoch 11-04-2009 04:52 PM

Check your shift cables (from throttle to engine, and from engine to lower unit).