Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

looking for a place to buy hinge

Original Mariah Talk

Old 09-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #1

urim is currently offline
Find me on the Map
Gallery Images: 0

Send urim:
a Private Message

Default looking for a place to buy hinge

hi

i am looking for a place that sells hinges for the back seat of my 2001 boat...this is the long bench at the back.
the hinges are very wide and not standard.
they have two hinges rows and a very wide bracket
  • Old 09-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #2

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Default Re: looking for a place to buy hinge

Hi urim,

Are they about 8" long and the center between the two hinges about 2 1/2" to 3" wide and each end about 1" to 1" 1/2" wide with a 90 degree bend? If not, can you attach a picture of one of the hinges?

I had to have a hinge made for one of our rear bench seats, in '96 there was three separate seat bottoms. Had one made from two Stainless steel hinges. First they were bent then wielded together to replicate the existing hinges.

WetWilly
    Old 09-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send urim:
    a Private Message

thanks for the answer...got lost in other mails.
    the hinges are just as you described.
    i have tried looking for a replacement in several stores but no one holds such a wide hinge.
    i have no idea where and who might deal with such thing
    Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #4

karmann is currently offline

Send karmann:
    a Private Message

seen them on Ebay
    Old 09-15-2009, 03:00 AM   #5

karmann is currently offline

Send karmann:
    a Private Message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-new...ssoriesQ5fGear
    Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send urim:
    a Private Message

you are the man...found them from the link and ordered 2 units
    Thank you urim for this useful post!
    hrayner (12-10-2014)
    Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #7

sweetdreams is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: 1998 PC Talari 246 Limited Edition
    My Engine: mercruiser V8 7.4L

Send sweetdreams:
    a Private Message

Hi, I am looking for those same hinges that you found on ebay thru the Mariah Owners Club. The ebay item is closed, and I cannot get any info on the business that sold them. Do you mind giving me any info on the manufacturer, if available, or where you got the hinge, which I have been running all over creation trying to find?

Much appreciated,
    Steve
    Old 10-29-2014, 01:59 AM   #8

pkeane11 is currently offline
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: shabah 190
    My Engine: 4.3 alpha
    Gallery Images: 5

Send pkeane11:
    a Private Message

I know this is a pretty old thread but I found it while researching hinge replacement for the bench seat in my 1996 Shabah 190. I found them at greatlakesskipper.com They are not an exact replacement but I was able to make them work with a little work and about a half a day.The hinges I used were Hunts Hinges TB20015ss04BA aluminum 10x4 boat piano hinge, stock # 1035258--5F13. I also used 1/4"SS bolts and brass threaded inserts. For a spacer I used a 3/4"x3/4x1/8" aluminum angle from Ace Hardware.
    DSC02353.jpg

DSC02356.jpg

DSC02354.jpg

DSC02357.jpg

DSC02355.jpg
    Hope Photos will be self explanatory, I used the 2 outside holes in the hinge with the brass inserts (bought at Rockler.com). They feel sturdy but I plan to add 2 # 10 SS pan head screws near the middle of the hinge for a little extra support.
    Old 10-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

sweetdreams is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: 1998 PC Talari 246 Limited Edition
    My Engine: mercruiser V8 7.4L

Send sweetdreams:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the belated message, although I traded my Mariah a couple years ago for a larger boat I had a post on a different thread that may still be useful for other lookers who need to replace the hinges and end up on this thread. The reply is reposted below, just in case others want to see it. It was a different way of solving the problem than pkeane11 has noted above, but may be useful to some in any case. As Follows:

Hello All, For anyone who is interested in the bench hinges previously pictured in this thread, there were three offset hinges on the bench seat of my Mariah Talari PC 240, and the aluminum hinges corroded.After searching unsuccessfully for original replacements, and looking at what others have done4 on this website, my solution came to the following successful conclusion:

I replaced the three broken hinges with six offset hinges, welded in pairs, purchased from Veada Manufacturing. Look on their website for offset hinge model HA201H5. The website is Boat Hinges and Pedestals

The hinges from Veada are only 5" long, and the original hinge is about 9" long, but the Veada hinges are more sturdy, and they will work. Also the "ell" on the Veada hinge is .25" longer than the "ell" on the original hinge, but this is not a critical difference, especially if you replace all three original hinges (recommended..) Anyway, bring the six pairs to a welding shop, it will cost about $20 to have the three pairs welded. It's quick and easy. Make sure the weld is done so that the two "bumps" on the new hinge match the orientation of the original hinge. Take the original hinge off and match them up!

When you are removing the original hinge, you may also come into the problem with the T-bolt that it screws into is corroded! Unfortunately the T-bolts are not stainless. If the T-bolt is corroded, you must remove the vinyl covering the opposite side of the hinge, so you can replace the T-bolt.

The other option, beside replacing the T-bolt, is to Drill out the existing hole with a 3/8 or larger drill bit, and used a stainless steel "threaded insert" (hardware dept in West Marine, not avail at most hardware stores..). Screw the insert in, and then you can attach the hinge to the insert with a stainless bolt and washer. Be careful, when drilling out the corroded T-bolt, that you do not puncture the vinyl on the other side. You may want to stick something in behind the vinyl, if you can, to push it away from the drill bit's sharp tip!

OK, so you have the welded hinges, and the T-bolts are either in good condition, or replaced by stainless inserts, so now you can attach the hinge. The new hinges are only 5" long with 4 screws, instead of the original 9" long with 6 screws, so you will have six unused screw holes on the bottom of your seat.. don't worry!

The final complication which you will run into is the separation betwoon screws on the seat is about 3/8" different than the separartion between holes on the hinges. Therefore, mark the spots by lining up the new hinge over the screw holes, and drill a hole to widen the gap on the hinge, where neccessary. The hinge is aluminum, very soft to drill thru, so it's not a big deal. Then attach the hinges over the srew holes using the proper size bolt, and a washer.

Tedious work, but nice results. I hope I saved someone some trouble
    Thank you sweetdreams for this useful post!
    woodward33 (10-30-2014)