The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   1998 shabah Z252 steering cable replacement (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3170-1998-shabah-z252-steering-cable-replacement.html)

edward cossey 08-09-2009 10:05 PM

1998 shabah Z252 steering cable replacement

Hi guys

looks like i will be able to keep my Mariah (thank god), and i will be going out to florida in september, while im out there i want to replace the steerng cable and rack, i have about 3inches of play on the wheel and the steering feels a little stiff so i want to replace the cable and rack, but i havent a clue of what make or length of cable i want or how to replace it any ideas?

ed cossey ( sonny boy ) :shakehead: :eek_animated: :confused:

roger simkin 12-31-2009 08:03 PM

Re: 1998 shabah Z252 steering cable replacement

I have the same play in my "95 Davanti. I was hoping there was an adjustment but alas no. What I found out is the steering cable and rack and pinion is an integrated piece. You do not order them separate. Go to your favourite supplier and tell them what boat you have and they will tell you the part number.
Roger

edward cossey 01-01-2010 06:26 PM

hi roger
i had my steering checked by a marine service centre , they thought it was about right apparently there is about 2inches free travel in the steering, and they told me if i wanted them to replace it it would be arround $1500 and not to compare it with auto steering which is more direct and lighter to turn, so ill suffer it for the time being.

best regards

ed cosey ( sonny boy ) :wink_thumbup:

Weezer 01-14-2010 11:42 PM

I just had my rack and cable replaced on my 1993 Barchetta. The maintenance shop charged me $550.00. Maybe you should talk to another maintenance facility. $1500.00 seems a little high. Anyway, good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Dredd 01-15-2010 12:06 AM

Hey Weezer - Can you say about how much play is in your new setup and how it compares, resistance wise, to an auto (twice as hard, etc.)? Thanks

Weezer 01-15-2010 12:24 AM

I had other things go on in the system. The tube cable guide was crimped. The cable was very tight. I have power steering and it was still very difficult to turn the wheel. Also, I had about 3 inches of play.
Now with the new parts, I only have about 1 1/2 inches of play. But it is hard to say. I need to start the motor up and see what it is like on the water. Unfortunately, I just had it winterized and I do not want to undo all of that. So, I will wait for Spring. Here in Texas, that could be February.
i will say that is is a lot easier to turn the wheel now (without the engine running). I hope that gave yo some useful information.

edward cossey 01-17-2010 07:48 PM

hi weezer
i recon my service centre is expensive i may need to look around for somone a bit cheaper

all the best

ed cossey