The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Kill Switch (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/3150-kill-switch.html)

karmann 08-06-2009 11:56 AM

Kill Switch

Hello All

My boats kill switch was removed before I bought it, I just wondered how many of you use this feature? I was going to install a new one, And just wondered if most people use them or not.

thanks

blockp 08-06-2009 01:25 PM

Re: Kill Switch

I have never used them in any of the boats I have. If it's that rough out, we don't go out. In my years of boating, it has yet to happen to me, but if it gets that rough while we're out, I hope I'm smart enough to use someone else's dock or wait in a cove until the storm has passed.

Jet skis and wave runner... always. But I haven't used the one on the boat.

All that said, I think in most states you're required to have a kill switch on the boat. I'd have to go re-read the regulations to be certain though.

I'm zipping my fire retardant suit now... Flame away.

mfitz62 08-06-2009 01:56 PM

I used to be a Professional Bass Fisherman and we had to have them hooked to our life vests. After 10 years of 15+ tournaments a year I never once needed the kill switch. It was a very big hassle, it would always get pulled when you didn't want it. I would never use one again.

SEMIJim 08-07-2009 11:47 PM

I often clip mine on when I'm going to be cruising around the lake at high speed. But I'm new to power-boats (The Admiral and I are blow-boaters :)), so I tend to be extra-cautious. Besides: The lake we're on is large, so it has a lot of fetch. Lots of fetch means lots of open water for the wind to catch and bring up chop. There are also a lot of very large power-boats out there that raise some pretty impressive wakes.

Jim

Rdrdon 09-10-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmann (Post 17502)
Hello All

My boats kill switch was removed before I bought it, I just wondered how many of you use this feature? I was going to install a new one, And just wondered if most people use them or not.

thanks

Required by law in Alabama.

SEMIJim 09-11-2009 12:54 PM

It's now over a month since I commented on this issue, and...

I'd gotten out of the habit of clipping on the kill switch lanyard. There didn't seem to be any point in a boat our size. Then, last weekend, coming back just after dark, cruising at about 25-30 MPH, light waves/chop, there was a boat about 3-4 times our size off the port bow on a collision course. I steered well to starboard well in advance of it becoming a problem, so we'd clear well to port of one another. Next thing I know, this other boat changes course to put us back on a collision course! :eek: I quickly altered course again well to starboard, to again put us in a position to pass one another well to port, and the other boat apparently finally got it, and also altered his course to starboard, increasing the distance.

Then I passed over his wake, at relatively high speed, length-wise, rather than cross-wise. It was all I could do to stay more-or-less at the helm. If I'd been tossed out of my seat, without the engine being killed, the results would've been less than amusing. Sure, I should've immediately slowed-down. Sure, I should've turned into his wake. But the point is I didn't, because of the immediacy of the situation and, honestly, my inexperience. While I hope I react better to a similar situation in the future, should it happen, there's always the unexpected.

So, henceforth, I'll be clipping in.