The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Mariah stringer construction (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/312-mariah-stringer-construction.html)

Boatcrazy 09-08-2007 06:43 PM

Mariah stringer construction

I have read on other forum sites that Mariah boats constructed their hulls and stringers different then most other manufacturers. Is this true? Are there any pictures available from old literature or brochures of 1999-2000 Mariah's? I also have heard that they were some problems with older models and hull warranties?

Please shed some light on their construction methods as I know from getting my hands dirty on my Z302 that they did do some things different such as the use of mostly fiberglass sub liners throughout the boat. The boat seems to be put together very well and has a ton of features that were not found on other boats.

Been raining most of the day here (weather man said 10% chance of rain today, yeah right!!) and am getting restless sitting inside the house not being able to work on my boat.

Steve

ShabahZ280 09-08-2007 07:16 PM

Steve:

Check this out. These are Mariah's patents for the stringer system. This should give you an idea on how it's laid out.

http://www.mariahownersclub.com/foru...hread.php?t=50

wetone 03-27-2010 03:12 PM

Re: Mariah stringer construction

hello, you welcomed me to the site a few days ago. i can not open this link to the string system patent. Am i not logged in right? As we discussed the insurance is claiming dry rot in my hull and will not cover the damage. From what i have found they used a "wood Free" system in 2000. How could there be dry rot? An diagrams or actual Mariah documents would be a great help in proving my case and getting the insurance to cover this claim. Thanks for any help you may provide.

dudders 03-27-2010 03:29 PM

Hi Wetone, if the link wont let you go there, try going to Forum, Original Mariah Boas, Inc, Mariah Boats Inc and Jimmy Fulks Biography, then Mariah's Patents.
You will find two PDF's to download there.
All the best.

mikeyt 03-28-2010 12:08 AM

Just in checking the promo brochures etc, i cant tell if Mariah eliminated the "Douglas Fir XL CCA Pressure treated" wood in their stringers starting in 2000. It still shows in the 1999 brochure and all previous brochures. The brochure also indicates that the CCA treatment "eliminated" dry rot which could have been the reason Mariah offered a limited lifetime hull warranty on their boats.

Maybe the insurance adjuster you are dealing with has only ever seen the insides of a Bayliner? ;)

z275st 03-29-2010 09:42 PM

I believe they went total fiberglass only to a certain length boat. My 2001 does have wood used in its construction. I guess it would be nice if it were all fiberglass but it would also increase the weight of my boat. I have had no problems with the wooden parts in either Mariah boats I have owned. "Knock-on wood:rolleyes:"

wetone 03-30-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudders (Post 20953)
Hi Wetone, if the link wont let you go there, try going to Forum, Original Mariah Boas, Inc, Mariah Boats Inc and Jimmy Fulks Biography, then Mariah's Patents.
You will find two PDF's to download there.
All the best.

Thanks dubbers, i was able to down load it. Happy boating

wetone 03-30-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 20956)
Just in checking the promo brochures etc, i cant tell if Mariah eliminated the "Douglas Fir XL CCA Pressure treated" wood in their stringers starting in 2000. It still shows in the 1999 brochure and all previous brochures. The brochure also indicates that the CCA treatment "eliminated" dry rot which could have been the reason Mariah offered a limited lifetime hull warranty on their boats.

Maybe the insurance adjuster you are dealing with has only ever seen the insides of a Bayliner? ;)

Hey Mikeyt,

If i am understanding you correctly you are saying that they used a "Douglas Fir XL CCA pressured treated" wood in the stringer system. This treatment eliminated dry rot. Am i able to access any of this literature on this site? Any original documentation would be very help full. What does the XL stand for? I have found some info on line about the CCA treated wood. I struck something in the lake last year with the out drive and feel this may have cause this damage that we have discovered recently. The insurance is claiming "dry rot" to get out of paying. I am gather info for an appeal to the insurance company.

wetone 03-30-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z275st (Post 20988)
I believe they went total fiberglass only to a certain length boat. My 2001 does have wood used in its construction. I guess it would be nice if it were all fiberglass but it would also increase the weight of my boat. I have had no problems with the wooden parts in either Mariah boats I have owned. "Knock-on wood:rolleyes:"

that would make sense. Do you know if the wood is in the stringer system or just the floor? i very happy with the boat aside from this issue.

mikeyt 03-30-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetone (Post 20992)
Hey Mikeyt,

If i am understanding you correctly you are saying that they used a "Douglas Fir XL CCA pressured treated" wood in the stringer system. This treatment eliminated dry rot. Am i able to access any of this literature on this site? Any original documentation would be very help full. What does the XL stand for? I have found some info on line about the CCA treated wood. I struck something in the lake last year with the out drive and feel this may have cause this damage that we have discovered recently. The insurance is claiming "dry rot" to get out of paying. I am gather info for an appeal to the insurance company.

Becoming a contributing member allows you access to all of the material on the website. I'm not sure what the "XL" stands for, only that it is likely a trade name for the wood. By the look of the diagrams in the promo brochures, the wood was encapsulated by fibreglass & used in the stringers and floor.