The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Possible Mariah boat purchase - Advice (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/308-possible-mariah-boat-purchase-advice.html)

Beltzington 09-08-2007 04:56 AM

Possible Mariah boat purchase - Advice

Hello Everyone,

Stumbled onto this website while researching a possible Mariah boat purchase and it speaks well for a product to see a dedicated bunch of owners sharing information. Anyways, it’s late and I’m tired, but I’m going to look at a 22-ft Shaba Sunday and wanted to know what to look for. I don’t recall whether it was a 1995 or 1996 model and the very few pictures I have seen of the boat indicate it has probably spent allot of time outside and it was not very well taken care of. The upholstery is trashed and the engine bay looks as if it has had oil spilled or (gulp) leaking. The third owner says it has 570-hours on the 5.7 Mercruiser and it starts and runs well. I’m fairly mechanical and don’t mind putting some sweat equity into a boat but have no desire to have something I have to tweak everytime I want to go boating. Also, I have refiberglassed my Jon Boat and I’m not going there again. Does this have boat have wooden stringers and floor? What should I be concerned about? With a single axle trailer they are asking around $7,000. Thanks in advance.

moondance100 09-09-2007 01:44 PM

Yes it has wood floors and stringers, I put a floor in my 86 Chaparral a few years ago. Not rocket science, but hard nasty work. 570 hours wouldn't concern me on a 5.7 merc; that is if it had any sort of maintenance. That same Chaparral, had a 20 yr old 5.7 in it that had never been touched and it ran like a clock when I sold it.

I would be more concerned with the overall condition of the boat. The upholstery on these Mariahs is so detailed, it would cost a ton to reupholster one. I had some paint/gelcoat work done on mine and it turned out very well. In my estimation, interior work would be more problematic than exterior.

Good luck!!

Z 202 09-09-2007 01:56 PM

A hull survey would probably be in oder as well. It sounds as if the boat in question hasn't been well maintained, and if it sat with a lot of water in the bilge for extended periods I would be very concerned about delamination.

Beltzington 09-09-2007 11:56 PM

Went and saw the Shabah 210 and there is just too much interior sun damage and I have enough projects requiring money and completion without adding another. Second, I had no idea how large a 22-ft bow cruiser was and it is really more boat (length) then we are looking for.

Thanks for the input, it made my decision easier.

MariahMan 09-10-2007 12:02 AM

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you Beltzington. Don't give up though, you're sure to find the Mariah that works for you! :wink_thumbup:

boatman 09-10-2007 08:04 PM

Keep looking Beltzington, there are deals out there. I bought my 1996 Shabah this year for $8k. It was immaculate, and was water ready. Needs new sound and covers but those are minor things.