The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Lightening a Diablo (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2969-lightening-diablo.html)

Rick of Austin 07-14-2009 03:29 AM

Lightening a Diablo

Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to put the Diablo on a diet and shed about 150 lbs?
My 93 4.3 Diablo rides a lot better when solo and its obviously overbuilt and overweight. For example the entire rear seat assy, engine compartment dividers, upholstery backing, side consoles, are all very heavy plywood, the solid plastic ski locker door is another heavy item.
Since it needs upholstery I am considering replacing all that with composite panels similar to whats used on a searay.
Like in aircraft losing weight should improve all aspects of the performance and efficiency right?
Thoughts anyone?
Rick

94z190talari 07-14-2009 04:07 AM

Re: Lightening a Diablo

Sounded like you were going to shed option 1 - blonde or even option 2 - brunette.:eek_animated:

So your gonna lighten it up and make it like all the other boats on the lake? Rough riding and cheaper looking???? :punch_out:

ShabahZ280 07-14-2009 07:59 PM

I vote for no. Save the money you'd spend on composite panels and put it in the gas tank. You'll get much more enjoyment and satisfaction out just keeping it stock and spending more time on it. Mariahs are built heavier than the competitors for durability, and to ride much better... It's what makes them stand out from everyone else.

Personally, I think shedding 150lbs isn't going to give you that much of a performance increase. If you're really after performance and speed, you might want to consider a different model with a larger engine.

Rick of Austin 07-14-2009 08:49 PM

Thanks for the input, and I now realize i would be spending way too much time and money for not much improvement.
My delima is that I love that boat for all the good things it does and exceptional handling, but the prior owner let it sit uncovered for a couple years and it destroyed the vinyl and caused the plywood components to soften in a couple spots.
I am looking to upgrade and just mssed a 2001 diablo on ebay that was garage kept and pristine.
The next sixe up would really work well for me, I have the capacity to tow up to 6,000 pounds but would like to stay on a single axle trailer.
Whats the next size up Mariah I should look for?
Thanks greatly,
Rick

dudders 07-14-2009 09:29 PM

Anything 20feet to (I think) 25feet came standard with a twin axle trailer.
Better ask some of the others if a single axle trailer will be capable to handle a 20 or 21 footer.

Z 202 07-14-2009 09:53 PM

Keep the interior, just get your passengers to remove those bikinis! :wink_thumbup:

That ougt to shed about 1/4 pound. :eek_animated:

My 202 sits on an Eagle single axle trailer. Rides great and easy to manoeuver. I have a max towing limit of 6500, but I'm probably only a bit over 4K with trailer and gear. 20' is probably close to the limit on single axle though.

As to your towing limit, most of the Mariah's 24' (~4000lbs) and under wouldn't pose a problem.

94z190talari 07-14-2009 10:06 PM

Mine is probably the exact same trailer (Roadmaster) you have on yours gauging by the pictures and the fact that your boat came from Finn and Feather like mine did. Roadmaster is just down the road here in Richland Hills (Fort Worth).

I had to replace the leaf springs on mine and get some heavier ones. :shakehead: I was driving up to Texoma and was just about to Lighthouse resort where 120 is narrow and had to dodge a car and the right wheel fell into a whole on the edge of the asphalt and when I looked back there was smoke coming off the right tire. Turns out the leafs broke and the fender was riding on the tire. Wasn't very much clearance to begin with. The new springs brought it up to about an inch clearance.

I wouldn't want to put much more than the one I have on a single axle even though these are pretty heavy trailers unless they have some pretty good leaf springs.

I'm with Z 202 - those bikini's when wet are a lot of excess weight!:yes_grin:

blockp 07-15-2009 02:31 PM

Just curious, but why do you want to stay with a single axle? Tolls? Maintenance?

I trailer my boat every time I go out, so I would have preferred a double axle to help smooth the ride.

When I was shopping for mine, it seemed the 20's were mixed with single and double axle trailers. All of the 21 & 22's that I looked at were riding on doubles.

ShabahZ280 07-15-2009 05:04 PM

I believe it's a DOT law that any trailer over 20ft has to have dual axles. Blockp's right, it's definitely a much smoother ride with dual axles.

Rick of Austin 07-15-2009 05:30 PM

Thanks Guys, Yes maybe I should have a more open mind about dual axle trailers. I keep the boat in a long garage and after I get it in the door I have to jog it back and forth to move it over about 6 feet sideways to make room for the car. I assume a tandem axle will not be so easy to work towards the side as a single does.
Love my Diablo!