The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Need advice on replacing engine (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2920-need-advice-replacing-engine.html)

s.a.charlie 07-09-2009 06:04 PM

Re: Need advice on replacing engine

Lets be nice now i work for a living to but for 1k more you get NEW not REBUILT with NEW warranty.why was old motor core warn out in first place bored out motors sometimes get hot . I have a rebuilt 5.7 in my boat It was in it when i bought it i wish he would have spent the extra 1K for piece of mind

stuart52 07-09-2009 06:13 PM

S.A., thanks for the input. My shop says both new and rebuilt have same 1 year warranty, so I'm not sure the "peace of mind" difference. That said, I am strongly considering the new, but will probably go rebuilt for $$

bigv8 07-09-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

I am strongly considering the new, but will probably go rebuilt for $$

Hmmm...You could go rebuilt and spend that extra grand on a valve job and a cam.:D

stuart52 07-09-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigv8 (Post 16407)
Hmmm...You could go rebuilt and spend that extra grand on a valve job and a cam.:D

Or maybe constant speed prop, I've always wanted one since I am constantly swapping mine when I go to Lake Tahoe.:yes_grin:

SEMIJim 07-11-2009 12:56 PM

I was talking to a friend of mine about engine replacement, lately. He has a 30' Sea Ray cabin boat with dual 350 ci engines. One of them died. He bought a re-manufactured engine from a company whose name I can't recall. They re-build them and run them for 10 hours on test stands, so no break-in required. IIRC, he said they give a 3-year warranty. His re-manufactured 350 cost him $3k several years ago.

Jasper is probably the biggest name in re-manufactured marine engines. They give an 18-month warranty.

For a $1,000 price differential I wouldn't hesitate to use a re-manufactured engine from a reputable company over a new engine.

Jim

boat man2 07-11-2009 10:06 PM

if you go to u.s engines.com you can get a long block (you will have to swap over the manafolds water pump ect. ) for around 1800.00 plus shipping

SEMIJim 07-13-2009 03:39 AM

Here's the source my friend used: TriStar Engine Supply, in Wisconsin. He told me he paid $1,400.00, incl. shipping for both the re-manufactured engine and sending his core back to them. (I don't know how long ago that was.) He said he and his mechanic chose them because of their 3-year warranty. ISTR him telling me they sent him a video of the re-manufacturing process, incl. how they run their engines on test-stands for some number of hours, so there's no break-in required by the customer. (Tho I'd check w/them before accepting that as gospel.)

Jim

stuart52 07-13-2009 06:32 AM

Thanks for the input on the company, I'll definitely check them out, $1400 is quite a bit less than I have been quoted. I also checked Michigan Motorz and they were ~ $2500 with shipping and tax.