The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Looking for stereo experts (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2897-looking-stereo-experts.html)

John Miller 07-05-2009 06:24 PM

Looking for stereo experts

I am having some issues with the stereo in my Mariah. All works well except for the right rear speaker. It doesnt play as loud as the rest of the speakers. I tried switching out the speaker with one I know works fine and that wasnt the problem. It is a pretty complex setup. so I dont know if it could be the head unit, the amp or what. It has a Rockford Fosgate RFX 8130 head, Mosfet n4900x2 amp, 2 Bazooka RS subs and 4 Diamond Audio 6"speakers. The origional owner installed it all and I know very little about an audio system like that. Any ideas on what the problem would be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John Miller

bigv8 07-05-2009 08:14 PM

Re: Looking for stereo experts

Hi,

I'm new here, but may be able to help. I need to know some things though. You say you have a 2 channel amp hooked up. Is it driving all six speakers, or are the bazookas powered (having their own amps built in)? If it's just one speaker, I'd start by checking the wire itself and the connection to the amp. Then again, need to know whether the 4 6" are driven by the head unit or the amp.

To be honest, I can think of several ways in which a system like yours can be configured. Just need to know how it's all hooked up in order to find your problem.

John Miller 07-06-2009 01:43 AM

Big v8, I will have to do some more digging tomorrow afternoon. I got tired of messing with it today and just went to the lake. From what I can tell the one amp is driving all the speakers. The amp is so burried under the dash that you pretty much have to stand on your head in one of the front storage compartments to see it. The diamond speakers have 4 wires running to each one which is a new one to me. I will see if I can answer some more of your questions after work tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

John

bdbyrnes 07-06-2009 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Miller (Post 16168)
Big v8, I will have to do some more digging tomorrow afternoon. I got tired of messing with it today and just went to the lake. From what I can tell the one amp is driving all the speakers. The amp is so burried under the dash that you pretty much have to stand on your head in one of the front storage compartments to see it. The diamond speakers have 4 wires running to each one which is a new one to me. I will see if I can answer some more of your questions after work tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

John

John-

What's powering your system? How many batteries.. etc.

bigv8 07-06-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

The diamond speakers have 4 wires running to each one which is a new one to me.
Diamond Audio makes decent speakers. Problem is, they make a wide array of speakers. They could be dual voice coil, or they may even be connected to a 2-way crossover. I'm guessing they are coaxials?

abillmann 07-06-2009 08:00 PM

Four wires makes me think the speakers are biwired or biamped. (A semi-exotic setup for self-professed audiophiles.) :rolling_laugh: Some amps ARE designed to work in a biamp mode, usually with the flip of a switch.

Is it practical to wire the speakers in a traditional way? That is, a single positive and negative terminal PER speaker, running back to the amp? At the amp, there should be four speaker posts -- Left Front, Right Front, Left Rear, Right Rear.

What if you used a temporary piece of speaker wire and re-wired JUST that speaker back to the amp?

bigv8 07-06-2009 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

(A semi-exotic setup for self-professed audiophiles.)

Self professed, to be sure!:wink_thumbup:

1999Mariah 07-07-2009 03:06 AM

Ummm....is that for real?

John Miller 07-07-2009 03:10 AM

Sorry guys, I didnt have time today to dig back into it. We are heading to Table Rock for a week and I have a million other things to get ready. The speakers are coaxials. I am going to have to buy a new set. The one I didnt think was working properly I took out of the boat and took in the house and hooked it up to my home stereo. It played fine for about a minute then started crackeling and promptly quit working. I think once I get a new speaker in there I will try rewiring just that speaker to the amp and see if that works. bdbyrns, it is just a one battery setup.

John

bigv8 07-07-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

The one I didnt think was working properly I took out of the boat and took in the house and hooked it up to my home stereo. It played fine for about a minute then started crackeling and promptly quit working.
Good. I hope that's the only problem.:)

And 1999Mariah, yes, it is for real.:super_cool: