The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Fixed Shifter problem 2000 182 4.3 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2653-fixed-shifter-problem-2000-182-4-3-a.html)

Threejakes 06-03-2009 10:11 PM

Fixed Shifter problem 2000 182 4.3

I had a problem where the shifter would stick in gear, and when you moved the shifter to neutral from either forward or reverse, it would stay in gear for 5-6 seconds, and then release and pop into neutral. This was driving me crazy! I had the cable replaced with the "new" teflon one, and that didn't help, so I called a friend, who works at a marina, for help. He came up to our lake and spent 2 hours adjusting the "kill switch". I guess that it's a very fine adjustment, but now it works like it's supposed to. What a relief, and now I can dock, and pick up skiers much easier and safer. The "kill switch" is adjustable on our model (Shabah 182, 4.3/Alpha 1), and it appears that it is hard to adjust, and get it right. He would adjust it, and the reverse would work, but not the forward. Then he would adjust it again, and then the forward would work, but not the reverse. He kept at it, moving it a little at a time and finally he got it to work as it's supposed to. It took two hours, but now it works perfectly! Patience is key here, and you will be rewarded!

WetWilly 06-03-2009 10:17 PM

Re: Fixed Shifter problem 2000 182 4.3

Thanks Threejakes, that's good to know and it just may help a few of our members currently having shift issues!

Good work :wink_thumbup:

blockp 06-04-2009 01:54 PM

Anyone have a pic or description of where this adjustment is on the Merc? Is this basically an Electronic Shift Assist that cuts spark to half of the cylinders while shifting in and out?

I worked with this quite a bit on my OMC and got quite accustomed to fiddling with the adjustment to get it right.

Once in a while my Merc is slow to come out of reverse. My first thought was this exact thing, but I wasn't sure it existed on the merc like on the omc. I haven't had time to look at it, but if someone can explain it a bit, then the next time I'm at the boat, I'll take a look at it.

indykoch 06-04-2009 03:19 PM

I have the same dilemma and would love to know which adjustment it is. I tried a few different cables and made things worse, so I put it back where it was. I'm still wanting to have a mechanic do it... if only he took beer as payment!!!

Threejakes 06-04-2009 03:35 PM

The mechanic who fixed mine used a plastic gauge with notches in it, to get it in the ball park. Then he moved it slowly in each direction and tried each position, until he got it just right. The gauge is something that the mechanics get from Mercruiser. I'm sure there is a part # for it.
I hope this helps.

mariah bob 06-14-2009 10:02 PM

I installed multi port fuel injection on my 5.7, and have this problem also. bad thing is it dosent have the merc dist and kill switch anymore so i am stuck turning it off and restarteing to get out ot gear