The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Mercruiser vs Volvo Penta (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2628-mercruiser-vs-volvo-penta.html)

Rsingleton 05-31-2009 12:14 AM

Mercruiser vs Volvo Penta

I am considering two Mariahs Z240 with a Bravo III and a Z252 with a Volvo Penta.

I have no experience with the Volvo or Bravo III outdrives. Are there significant advantages or disadvantages to either that I should be aware of before making my decision?

WetWilly 05-31-2009 09:09 AM

Re: Mercruiser vs Volvo Penta

Hi Rsingleton and welcome to the club!

Both the Mercruiser and Volvo Penta are dependable power systems, and if the Volvo is a dual drive like the Bravo III, then they're fundamentally the same so you can't go wrong with either one. I would be more concerned about which system has more service support in your area.

I suggest you have both Mariah's checked out by a qualified service center to insure everything is in good condition (not needing any major repairs or service)! If everything checks out OK, go with the model you prefer the most.

Good luck,
WetWilly

Rsingleton 06-01-2009 01:22 AM

I believe the Volvo unit is single prop.

Thanks

bdbyrnes 06-01-2009 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsingleton (Post 14751)
I am considering two Mariahs Z240 with a Bravo III and a Z252 with a Volvo Penta.

I have no experience with the Volvo or Bravo III outdrives. Are there significant advantages or disadvantages to either that I should be aware of before making my decision?

I have the Bravo III with dual props. The props are counter-rotating and the boat steers straight and smooth. Never a problem with the outdrive with only regular maintenance on it in the 8 years I have had the boat. Highly recommend it.

WetWilly 06-01-2009 02:14 AM

Hi Rsingleton,

The difference between the dual prop and single is low speed handling. Dual props don't have the wander issue that the single props do at idle to low speeds (counter rotating props negate torque steer) and they have a better hole shot, but changing the props is more expensive as both are a matched set.

The single props offers more top end due to less drag of the second prop and if you need a better hole shot, you can replace the existing prop at the expense of a little top end, but being a single, it is cheaper.

As I said before, you can't really go wrong with either one.

WetWilly

MAJIC 06-01-2009 02:13 PM

Having had both single and dual props: dual props are the way to go on these boats, especially if you're going to tube, ski, wakeboard, etc. Now, if you fish and want to slow troll, the dual props move pretty fast at idle, ours goes around 5.5 MPH at idle.

Having good mechanical support is essential. In speaking with many mechanics - the Volvo outdrives tend to last longer given then way they connect with the engine (ball and friction vs gear to gear for the Mercs). However ... and of course there's a however - if you maintain both - expect a long life. Insurance companies plan 1,000 hours on the motor. In Freshwater use only and with good maintenance you can get upwards of 1,500 hours!

Again: my preference: Dual prop. You're in a NO LOSE situation!