The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   New Member Buyer Questions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2619-new-member-buyer-questions.html)

Rsingleton 05-28-2009 07:03 PM

New Member Buyer Questions

I am considering the purchase of a large bowrider (24-27ft.) and am really impressed with the original Mariah boats. I have owned Searays and Formulas in the past but they were purchased new with warranty.

The boats I am looking at are older (1995-2000)and I am concerned about buying a used boat that has chronic maintenance issues.

With this in mind, are there models in this size range I should avoid and could someone guide me in the process of checking out a used Mariah before purchase? What are the significant components that I should check to minimize any future fun and financial headaches? I understand that mechanical equipment breaks and the purchase of a used boat is risky but would appreciate any feedback that might help me in my choice.

Thanks,

Roger

Rowdyh55 05-28-2009 11:24 PM

Re: New Member Buyer Questions

I purchased a 2000 22' Mariah Shabah 222 BR earlier this year, it has a 5.7 Litre with an Alpha I drive, and I am really impressed with this boat so far, Mariah is a real solid boat. When you find one just have a good boat mechanic check it out, there is a lot of good info on this site to help find parts and alot of good folks that will help out with any problems that might arise. I have owned Searay and Crownline and I will take this 10 year old Mariah over those new ones any day.

MAJIC 05-29-2009 01:19 PM

We bought our 1997 25' Mariah Shabah BR a year ago. We boat on Lake Winnepesaukee in NH and moved up from a 19' Monterey. What a difference! We've put on well over 50 hours and the engine now has 340 hours on it. It's a 7.4, 4 barrel carb, Alpha 3 outdrive. To date: NO major problems...!!! It's been well maintained previous to me. Had to fix a loose ground in the white nav light and adj the carb. It's propped for skiing and tubing: i.e. it goes quickly. WOT is 4,600 doing about 50 MPH. My only concern buying the boat was getting parts, but this site has been a FANTASTIC source of info and ideas!

Good luck!

Z 202 05-29-2009 02:50 PM

Some of the parts (mostly interior ones) were built in house at the original Mariah factory (which is no longer in business), and will be difficult if not impossible to find. However, a lot of the other hardware was sourced from various companies, we have a complete list of suppliers in the sticky thread at the top of this forum. The driveline is obviously not a problem, as parts are readily available.

These are awesome boats. The original Mariah boats Inc. offered a lifetime warranty on the hull. Though at this point it's unlikely you'll be able to make a claim, it demonstrates the confidance the original Mariah had in their product.

If you can find one that has been well maintained, go for it. Most of us on here bought our boats knowing full well of the situation, but the quality and performance really is second to none.

ChicagoWeb 05-31-2009 09:21 PM

All of the parts I have needed for the boat to function I have found. The special items like graphics, were hard to find until recently. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know I haven't had any issues and we have repaired a bunch of things.