The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Major problems with Talari 180!! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/255-major-problems-talari-180-a.html)

indykoch 08-27-2007 04:00 PM

Do you hear a moaning, grinding type of noise when turning at speed? If so, it could be your gimbal bearing. Mine robbed me of 10+ MPH and affected hole shot as well. I didn't know it at the time (new boat to me), but even at idle the engine made a clacking noise - now it's unbelievably quiet.

What's your top speed and RPM's? What size/pitch prop are you running?

mikeyt 08-27-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariahShabah3.0 (Post 938)
Miket T......Did you lose any top speed? I'm almost sold to put the tabs on for next year. I also need a new prop. This one is pretty chewed. Our lake is so mismarked it's not funny. The major factor for me with a new prop will be hole shot to pull a skier. The boat is a little over 2000lbs with a 3.0 135 hp. I definitely bog with people in the back seats on the hole shot. I'm pretty sure I have a 3 blade 14 1/4- 21 on there now. Any sugestions?

Nope, no loss of top end. It hit 48-49mph before and hits 49mph now (maybe 50 with a strong wind behind it :)). A chewed prop can really cause headaches with acceleration and WOT though. You could try a 3 blade 19p or maybe a 4 blade 20p prop which would definitely give you a little more ooomph out of the hole, particularly if you dont do much high speed cruising & want it more for the watersports. The Smart tabs will make a considerable difference also. You have to keep your WOT rpms within the recommended range for your motor though.

moondance100 08-27-2007 11:51 PM

Jason, you said you were having trouble..does that mean you could previously get the boat to plane ok? If the engine is running ok, and you're doing everything you used to do to get it to plane, I'd look at the insert in the hub being spun.

MariahShabah3.0 08-28-2007 01:21 AM

I think I'm going to demo some props over the next month. I'm liking the 4 prop idea.

mikeyt 08-28-2007 02:31 AM

Dont overlook what the other posters are saying here though. It could very well be a spun prop that is causing your problems. You should have the hub checked & while you're at it get the prop fixed up so at least you can use it as a spare.

MariahShabah3.0 08-28-2007 02:55 AM

I am absolutely going to check the hub out as well. I definitely want this one repaired so the hub will be essential as well. I figured that when I demo the four blade, I'll have the hub inspected.

Thanks,
Frank

180diablo 08-28-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariahstreet (Post 910)
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. I own a 1995 Mariah Talari 180. I've been having problems bringing the boat to plane. From a stopped position, when I put the throttle down, the boat takes forever to plane. I have to get everybody in the boat to stand up and move to the front in order for it to get speed and plane. Any suggestions as to how I can make this problem go away??

Thanks,
Jason

Hmmm the last time I had problems getting onto plane, one of my spark plug wires was hanging off. I hit a small-ish wake and it was enough to pop one wire off the distributor cap. But this doesnt sound like your problem, or you would have mentioned about harsh running / rough running etc.

Test out the boats fuel system maybe ... ?

Straad 08-28-2007 01:33 PM

i had the same problem last week getting on plane, but the engine was running real rough
turned out to be a battery conection (i posted abotu it in another thread) that lead to the trim pump and fuel pump was corroded and nto getting good contact

but like i said i could tell as soon as i started it that it was running horribly rough