The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   bilge pump (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2518-bilge-pump.html)

John Miller 05-12-2009 10:30 PM

bilge pump

Hey guys, I have question about how the bilge pump should operate. Mine works fine when I turn it on with the dash switch. It has a float on the pump but it will not kick the pump on . Can just the float switch be replaced or does it come as a complete assembly with a pump?. Another question I have is will the float switch turn the pump on with the key in the off position? We are getting ready for a trip to Big Cedar Lodge on Table Rock and I am going to be renting a boat slip for the week and I want to make sure the automatic bilge pump is working properly.

Thanks,
John Miller

anthonybradley 05-12-2009 10:37 PM

Re: bilge pump

yes it should run when electrics are off, it is normally wired direct to the battery switch or battery via an inline fuse, check there for blown / corroded fuse. Also the switchs can go bat, some simple tests with a multimetere will shows you whats really going on.

Ants

ShabahZ280 05-13-2009 02:32 PM

When I was cleaning my bilge earlier this year, the bilge was full of water, and I noticed my automatic float switch on the bilge pump didn't seem to be working correctly, so I inspected the whole thing. It is one solid unit, with the automatic switch mounted to the side of it. Then I tried a test, and lifted the sensor up and down about a dozen times, and it started working again. Apparently the float switch can get crudded up with grime, and the contacts get dirty. Give that a try and see what happens!

John Miller 05-13-2009 08:15 PM

I have tried moving the sensor up and down and it still wont kick on. I guess I will be ordering a new one. Is there any one brand that is better than the rest? Thanks for the replies.

John

ShabahZ280 05-14-2009 11:39 AM

Mayfair is the OEM brand. However they all do the same thing, just make sure and put the same size (gph) pump in there.

anthonybradley 05-15-2009 01:39 PM

Also check the outlet pipe size, there are two standard sizes (about 19mm and 26mm from memory)

Ants

KSP181 05-18-2009 03:13 AM

I just put a float switch on a buddy's fish and ski. We ran a direct wire from the battery to the float switch. We also ran a switch to the dash as a backup, so it will work with either, in case the float fails. You can buy a float switch separate from the pump if the pump is working.

John Miller 05-18-2009 07:25 PM

It has an Attwood 900v in it now, When I was taking it out to check it out I broke the outlet when I was taking the hose off. I just ordered a new pump switch and pump so I should be ready to go for the weekend. Thanks for the help guys.

John