The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Paint removal?? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2397-paint-removal.html)

stereoman405 04-29-2009 04:29 AM

Paint removal??

Anybody know of a safe way to take paint off the gel coat? Specifically the PO had a name and registration number hand painted onto the boat, and I'll need to remove it to put the decals I want back on.

WetWilly 04-29-2009 08:17 AM

Re: Paint removal??

Hi stereoman405,

Here's a product that just might be what you're looking for. It's fiberglass and gel-coat safe!

Ready Strip - Click here

WetWilly

stereoman405 04-29-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 13785)
Hi stereoman405,

Here's a product that just might be what you're looking for. It's fiberglass and gel-coat safe!

Ready Strip - Click here

WetWilly

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. It also looks like my local West Marine carries it which will save a few bucks from the shipping charges. :wink_thumbup:

Kitto 04-29-2009 09:17 PM

I just got on to ask the very same question about paint removal. I just got it on order. Thank you very much. Kitto:wink_thumbup:

AirNavy 04-30-2009 07:07 PM

If it were me, I'd skip the chemical route and take the mechanical one: wetsanding with 800-2000 grit.

karmann 04-30-2009 07:34 PM

Hello Guys.

If this product is "one shot" lettering enamel, It can be removed with EASY OFF oven cleaner. It works great on painted surfaces such as cars & trucks, you just spray on in a cool place( stay out of the sun) it will wrinkle the lettering up, you can scrape with a plastic scraper, then buff it out.
I would do a test area on gelcoat to be safe.
Good luck.

WetWilly 05-01-2009 09:44 AM

Hi karmann,

I would not recommend any "oven cleaners" for paint removal on fiberglass. I believe the main chemical in these cleaners is Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) which is very corrosive. Lye is also harmful to fiberglass as well as aluminum, wood, acrylic, magnesium, zinc (galvanized), tin, chromium, brass, and bronze.

I recommend staying with the "Ready Strip" as it's people and environment friendly.

WetWilly

stereoman405 05-05-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirNavy (Post 13829)
If it were me, I'd skip the chemical route and take the mechanical one: wetsanding with 800-2000 grit.

Aren't you worried about damaging the surrounding gel coat? Also wouldn't the surrounding gel coat be coming off as you are sanding the painted area, in effect creating a 'raised; impression?

stereoman405 05-05-2009 07:49 PM

For followup, that Ready Strip worked like a charm! 1st application let sit for 24 hours and it took of 95% of the paint. I reapplied waited about 30 minutes just to soften the residue up, and the rest came right off. Cleaned up with a wet shop rag. :wink_thumbup:

WetWilly 05-06-2009 10:31 AM

Hey stereoman405,

Glad to hear the Ready Strip worked great and thanks a bunch for the followup and letting us know how it went! :wink_thumbup:

WetWilly