The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Swim Platform... cooler, livewell, ??? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/2181-swim-platform-cooler-livewell.html)

kylakerat 03-20-2009 03:01 AM

Swim Platform... cooler, livewell, ???

Just curious what Mariah designated the "hole in the swim platform with a lid" as? Due to water coming up on the swim platform, ice wouldn't last long if it's used as a cooler. It's too small to be considered a livewell. Anyone have a definite answer?

Since I'm not sure what it's for, I use it for everything. If I'm swapping back and forth between tubing and skiing/wakeboarding/kneeboarding, I put the tow line I'm not using in it to keep from constantly putting a wet tow line up in the boat to get the carpet wet. If we're swimming off the back of the boat with beverages, we pitch the empties in it using it for a trash can. And to entertain the kids we even put a couple of small bluegill in it we had caught for a bit, just so the kids could watch them up close.

If you're like me and not really sure what it's for, how do you use it?

dudders 03-20-2009 07:37 AM

Re: Swim Platform... cooler, livewell, ???

I'm pretty much with you on this, mine ends up holding U bolts for tow toys, the muffs for when I flush the motor, and occasionally rubbish.
Hadn't thought of letting the kids put little fish in there! Great idea thanks.
It sure is handy, but as you said, a little impractical to be used as a cooler.

ShabahZ280 03-20-2009 12:04 PM

Well, according to all the brochures, it's a "Wet Storage" space. I guess the overall vision was to use it for tow ropes and things for watersports. However I use mine as a cooler. It holds about a small bag of ice, which is usually enough to keep the drinks cool for a few hours. :)

indykoch 03-20-2009 02:09 PM

I have yet to use mine as a cooler - although it is mounted up high on mine and would never have lake water flowing in.

I use it for empties and tow ropes. Works great, but I must admit I like the look of a full, flat swim platform more than this hump in the middle with a "wet storage" area. I fixed that by adding the extended swim platform!!

kylakerat 03-22-2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indykoch (Post 12776)
I have yet to use mine as a cooler - although it is mounted up high on mine and would never have lake water flowing in.

Mine is actually flush/recessed into the swim platform so it's just inches above the water level. When there's 3 or 4 people sitting on the platform and swim pad, waves come up on the swim platform regularly.

One thing I had forgot about doing with mine until I noticed it today is use it as a drain plug reminder. When I pull the boat out of the water, I use a small crescent wrench to remove the plug and put both in the "wet storage" thingy. The crescent wrench handle fits perfectly down into the drain hole, keeping the plug from rolling around in the bottom and possibly falling out thru the drain hole. This is a quick visual reminder that the drain plug is NOT in the boat, just by seeing the crescent wrench handle hanging down out of the drain hole. Once I put the plug in, the wrench goes into the glove box until needed again.

I'm a scatterbrained type person, so I need the easy reminder about the drain plug.

Brian 03-22-2009 03:13 PM

HEY THERE

On our 94 Talari Z200 we use the rear deck opening as a cooler. We have a sealable/removable plug in there so no lake water comes in. It holds two 5lb bags on ice plus the drinks. Combined with the one under the front seat this craft is awesome.
The ship is ready as so are we.

Brian

Z 202 03-22-2009 03:24 PM

Mine's always been used as wet storage; shore shoes, tow rope etc.

The bow cooler and the one on the passenger side of the helm are often used though. :)