The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   1997 Shabah 180 Steering Issue (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1732-1997-shabah-180-steering-issue.html)

rbeaton 09-21-2008 07:30 PM

1997 Shabah 180 Steering Issue

This is my first post and I think the site is great! I have a 1997 Shabah 180 and the steering has become extremely tight. I was told the power steering pump is good and of course it has good fluids. This is my first boat and I'm still learning and figuring things out but this steering issue is pretty frustrating. I do not have an owner's manual and others that I have asked are stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!

300sflyer 09-21-2008 07:56 PM

When you say the steering has become "tight" I assume you mean difficult to turn the steering wheel, instead of that there is no play in the steering? Is this just when you are driving the boat in the water, or when you run the engine with ear muffs too? How is it with out the engine running?

rbeaton 09-21-2008 08:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yes...I meant tight as being difficult to steer. It is difficult to steer all the time and especially difficult when in the water.

300sflyer 09-21-2008 11:16 PM

Sounds like the power steering pump or the control valve may have gone south... Is there any foaming inside the pump when the cap is removed? If so, turn the wheel both left and right a few times to its full travel, [without the engine running] to bleed the system of any air, then add fluid as required. If not and the fluid level is normal, [no leaks anywhere] and the belt is tight, you may have to take it in to have a mechanic check it out. It might be worth putting a new pump on yourself and seeing if that is the problem, but if thats not the problem, then its was for nothing, and... your repair just became real expensive.:shakehead:

Hope that helps, and let us know how you make out.

rbeaton 09-21-2008 11:48 PM

Thanks for the insight. Will definitely try that and see what happens.

Another question...Is there some type of steering linkage that may need to be greased up that I don't know about? I greased all the fittings that I know of on the boat and just wondering if something is being missed? Is there something possibly inside the boat behind the dash as part of the steering column that needs a little shot of grease? Thanks again!

300sflyer 09-21-2008 11:52 PM

Not that I'm aware of, but perhaps someone else could chime in.:)

indykoch 09-27-2008 01:15 AM

Steering cables are probably beginning to wear. I don't think there's any grease/lubrication possible, just needs a new set of cables.

mickey 09-27-2008 01:56 AM

On some engines their is a grease fitting on the steering cable near the back of the boat where the steering cable ties in the steering rack or actuator. Mine doesnt but some do. Im curious if the pump is making any noise or maybe a whining sound. If it is not the actuator may be sticking in the rack, but usually you will feel a bump bump type feeling in the steering wheel, and even more common one of the hoses either the high pressure or the return line will build up pressure and either blow a hole in the hose or pop it off the fitting. If none of that is happening then its possible that the cable is binding, which is the most common. I hope this helps, Mickey