The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   2000 Shabah 182 Ride Quality? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/14282-2000-shabah-182-ride-quality.html)

jwiniger 06-30-2022 02:18 AM

2000 Shabah 182 Ride Quality?

Hi All,
New to the forum and working to become a first time boat owner. Came here to get some input on a 2000 Mariah Shabah 182 br that we are looking at.

Came across this particular boat, for sale by owner. 4.3L with about 280 hrs on it. Very well maintained. Exterior only has a few minor surface blemishes. Interior has been professionally reupholstered. Engine has had most major components replaced or tuned up. The owner has installed a great audio system in it. All in all, looks like it would be a great starter boat.

However, I am concerned with ride quality being only 18’ long. I have heard from multiple boating friends that we will be disappointed with how rough a shorter boat rides when there is chop and/or trying to pass through wake. We have two small children we will be taking out with us, and if that really is the case, I am also concerned about safety if it will really ride that rough. Everyone tells me to get at least 20-21’. We will be frequenting both the Ohio River as well as Kentucky Lake.

On the flip side, I have read nothing but good things about these Mariah boats. A couple questions. In general, will an 18’ versus 20-21’ really make that much of a difference in a boat ride quality? More specifically, is there anything that separates this particular Mariah 18’ boat from others that would make it have a better ride quality (i.e. hull design, etc etc)?

mikeyt 06-30-2022 02:53 AM

Re: 2000 Shabah 182 Ride Quality?

Mariah hulls are very solid and well constructed. Take a Bayliner out for a run then take out a similar size Mariah. You will really notice the difference.

I use my 180 (18ft) on Georgian Bay in Ontario with no issues but there is no question that a larger boat will handle rough water better than a smaller boat. If you are that worried about potentially handling rough water then i would suggest looking for a 202/Z202 or 222/Z222 or something similar in size. All depends on how much $$$ you have to spend and whether or not you have the vehicle that will tow the heavier boat.

MR2NR 07-06-2022 08:29 PM

Ya lots of factors on boat size. If your looking to spend your whole summer on the lake or have a lake house than anything smaller than a 20ft primary boat doesnt really make since. But if your going to trailor it a lot and have limited space i. e. garage and small vehicle than a 18ft is fine. Just watch your speed and avoid the weekends. ;).
Also if you have deep pockets and a large fam than I'd just hold off for a 202 or larger. Just remember those 4.3s sip fuel compared to them 350s as well. My Barchetta handles the wakes pretty well but I know what to look for on the water and when to reduce speed the way you drive it makes more of a difference than the size of boat ;). As with anything you just have to weigh your options and see what works for you but definitly take it for a test drive on a busy weekend to see if its going to be smooth enough for you.

Sparks&Stripes 07-07-2022 09:02 AM

You have to start somewhere, I had an 18' for my first boat and loved it. I say go for it and get some experience in, see what you like and what you don't. The good thing with Mariah boats is that they don't seem to lose value! Best of luck, hopefully you will be joining the Mariah family!