The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   White Anti-Fouling Bottom Paint (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1426-white-anti-fouling-bottom-paint.html)

ShabahZ280 07-10-2008 02:04 PM

White Anti-Fouling Bottom Paint

Anyone ever see the white colored bottom paint in fresh water? I'm curious to see how it holds up to marine growth. Any discoloring, or does it just stay true white?

indykoch 07-10-2008 03:40 PM

Chris,

I haven't seen it, but I've heard good things about it (except the price).

Just my 2 cents... DON'T DO IT!!! I'm in the process of trying to take off the black bottom paint on mine and it's not going well. It's a complete pain in the a_s!!! It looks horrible, slows the boat, and they must have sanded parts of the bottom to make it stick. This is going to require a new gel coat and I'm really not happy about it. I bought the boat this way with the thought of wet slipping. Now that I leased a slip with a lift, I want it gone. But once it's on, it's extremely expensive and difficult to remove. It definitely worked at keeping the algea off, but I can't stand it.

Unless you plan to wet slip in a really, really scum filled water hole, don't do it! I've even heard people say they won't look at a boat for sale with bottom paint.

Just wanted to give you an opinion from someone that has it.

180diablo 07-10-2008 04:06 PM

The marina where I stored my boat last season cleaned the bottom of the boat using I believe muriatic acid (hydrochloric) to clean the bottom of the boat. Cost me an extra $50, but it took a whole season worth of scum off the bottom of the boat. As you know I don't own a trailer, so it sits in the water the whole time.

Dont attempt w/o proper clothing and ventilation and a trailer you dont mind destroying.

I have seen an article about bottom painting in fresh water and the moral of the article is that it is pointless. :)

ShabahZ280 07-10-2008 05:09 PM

I've contemplated if it's worth it to keep the boat in the water, or continue using the launch service like I do now. The ease of just walking onto the boat in the water is nice, but then I question why I bought a brand new trailer, and what good does it do just sitting there while the boat's wet-slipped?

I appreciate your honesty guys, and I doubt I'll be doing it on the Z250. However on the next boat, it'll probably be necessary. :)

Speaking of, aren't there different types of antifouling that would allow you to trailer? I was just curious if anyone had seen the white antifoul paint in action. I've read about people doing it, but never heard a solid answer back if it actually stayed white!

180diablo 07-11-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 8712)
I've contemplated if it's worth it to keep the boat in the water, or continue using the launch service like I do now. The ease of just walking onto the boat in the water is nice, but then I question why I bought a brand new trailer, and what good does it do just sitting there while the boat's wet-slipped?

Well with me, I really have no choice. It's either in the water or its in the water. I would probably prefer it to be stored on land vs in water 24/7 for June to September. It is nice to just walk up to the boat, remove the tarps, start it up and go. I'am starting to look into a trailer for winter storage however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250
Speaking of, aren't there different types of antifouling that would allow you to trailer? I was just curious if anyone had seen the white antifoul paint in action. I've read about people doing it, but never heard a solid answer back if it actually stayed white!

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...ng+paint&meta=

Googled it :)

Mark 07-12-2008 04:45 AM

I did not want to paint mine but after alot of thinking I did. And for my self I am glad I did it works great. I used Interlux vc17m . The only thing I picked blue to match the boat but you have to add this powder to the paint and it changes it to a gold. They say it will change in two weeks to blue once it sits in the water . But it has not changed yet. NO slime on the bottom which is great but i should have painted the outdrive. Sorry to say it looks bad. Good luck to you.;)

DGR-Z246-98 07-25-2008 10:00 AM

Not sure if this helps, but when I first bought my Z246 (in UK) she was already painted but in need of rework as patchy. I had a permanent marina berth so kept her in the water for a couple of months until winter then hauled her out and spent about a month of weekends stripping her right back to the gelcoat.

Two reasons I decided to go through that, first that the previous owner had gone way too high up the sides of the hull with the paint in my opinion and I wanted to try and get as close to the waterline as possible. Second that it would give me a chance to know if the antifoul was covering any hull damage.

It was a nasty, cold (where I was anyway) and messy job. But solved both problems. I used a base coat and then 3-4 top coats of hard, scrubbing antifoul (anything else will just fall off at Mariah speeds!) after a bit of research I went for International's Interspeed Ultra.

Was pleased with the finish, couldn't really see the antifoul in the end and as I keep her in the water, it was a necessity as the growth would have been bad. Didn't do anything at all to that for 3 seasons except touch up the strip around the waterline when she came out for her annual service.

Last couple of years she has been on a trailer since I moved out to Dubai, this stuff has been tough enough to launch, recover and hose down without breaking up. I'm just this weekend re-fouling (top coat only) as I've found a permanent berth again.

Planning to use Jotun's Penguin Performance as I can't get hold of the Interspeed very easily here, but as all the scrubbing ones are compatible the only preparation i'm having to do is wash down and a very light manual sand just to remove the used layer and give it something to key to, and it's really not that much work.

The only thing I would say is that doing this on a trailer is pretty fiddly and means you cant get to the final strip on the very bottom of the hull. The best way (which I did last time) is to have the maria prop her on blocks and then you can reach everything and just get them to move her slightly so that you can do the bits under the blocks.

indykoch - might be worth keeping in mind that I recovered the parts above the waterline without new gelcoat, fine sanding will get it back, but just depends how much labour costs are compare to the re-gel.

Here are some pictures of the original work for reference:
http://www.mariahownersclub.com/gall...dex.php?n=2014
http://www.mariahownersclub.com/gall...dex.php?n=2019

By the way, not sure what types of growth you get in your areas, but the killer ones here and back home are the barnacles, those things never come off and will tear skin to shreads trying to remove them. I did a great job of the hull but didn't protect the leg enough and those things have now been dead for 3 years yet I still cant get some of them off!!

A friend of mine with a Talari decided not to foul and the barnacles on the hull actually stopped him getting on the plane! - plus they blocked the intake and caused him to overheat - nasty little things, so be warned!! :)

Anyway, take a look at the pictures and see if you think it spoils the looks, personally I wouldn't even think of leaving her in the water without some serious antifoul now, takes a bit of time to do at the start but no work for 2-3 seasons is a fair return.

Steve.