The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   212 engine performance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1310-212-engine-performance.html)

dieselwiezil 06-16-2008 04:06 AM

212 engine performance

I have had my Mariah since November @ 76 hours. I am currently at 98 to date. Runs good, smooth new stereo is awesome. My question is perfomance. I dont think my engine is performing like it should @ est. 250 hp. I had an older boat that had a 4 barrel quadraunk on it that screamed. I do have a new 21 pitch Mercury Mirage just added this weekend. It had the old 21 pitch alluminum that I keep for backup. Trimmed up with 600 lbs of people in it only turns a little over 3900 Rpm @ 42mph. That is plenty of speed, but I would just think it could handle a little more. I guess I need to do a complete tune up and put a new fuel filter on it(possible restriction). The boat DOES NOT hesitate, thats why I havnt done all this yet. Any ideas?

ShabahZ280 06-16-2008 11:58 AM

Yes, it sounds like your boat needs a tune up. Normal WOT rpm's are 4200-4800

Z 202 06-16-2008 01:07 PM

Yes, something is certainly off. My 202 with nearly the same power package (I have a carbed 4bbl) will do 50 mph with 4 persons and a full load of fuel.

I don't think your prop is the issue. I've run both aluminum and a stainless merc vengence of the same pitch (21p) and the performance is approximately the same: 4600 to 4700 rpm@WOT.

dwmax 06-16-2008 01:10 PM

my 212 runs at 4700 rpms at wot and does 60mph with 4 people in the boat. I have a 23p 5blade stainless prop called the high five.

dieselwiezil 06-17-2008 02:19 AM

darrel,

I looked at the high 5. I found this one locally on craigslist for $250 and it doenst have any marks or scuffs on it, practically brand new. I priced it new and it was nearly $500 for the prop and hub. I wanted to get more pitch but if im only turning 4000 rpm then a more pitched prop will make it turn under that. If the funds allow this week im going to put a set of plugs, cap, rotor, and wires and do a service on the engine. Maybe for some reason im not getting all the through out of the throttle. I will look over this week.

dieselwiezil 06-17-2008 02:20 AM

also, keep in mind, mine is NOT a 350 mag. Its only rated @ 250hp.

indykoch 06-17-2008 02:43 AM

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I had this exact same symptom last year. Mine also had a little knocking/growling noise that I wouldn't have known was wrong since the boat was new to me. Turned out to be the gimbal bearing. Does your's have any sort of rattling noise while at idle?

dieselwiezil 06-17-2008 02:51 AM

no, but if you rev the engine more than an idle it does seem to make a little noise. The previous owner had the drive takin off, and everything changed. However, I dont know what "everything" is.... Is there any other ways to check the gimble bearing. SOB im gonna be mad if I have to pull that heavy thing. How hard is that to change? I do have a foklift so it wont be that big of a deal. I will definetly run her on the hose tomarrow and listen CLOSE. It seems that when im turning at an idle there is a definet noise.

dieselwiezil 06-17-2008 04:38 AM

well after reading this http://www.sterndrives.com/precisionparts/421.html I have figured that the gimble bearing is the suspect. NO MORE BOATING for me for a while. Typically how difficult is this task? Can it be performed on a saturday. or is it a TOTAL weekend Task. Im am very mechanically inclined and not worried about doing this, but just tryin to get a time frame. What is the best place to get murcruiser parts online?:shakehead::punch_out:

Now I feel like vomiting!

jmills224 06-17-2008 10:27 AM

If you work hard you should be able to get it done in a weekend. I did my gimbal bearing, u-joints, gear end yoke, and shift cable over the span of two weekends. You will need a slide hammer to pull the old bearing out and tool (you can use a wood block and go slow) to knock the new bearing in. You will also need an alignment tool. The first tool I would get is a Mercruiser service manual for your engine and drive!

If its been more than 3 years since the bellows have been changed I would go ahead and replace them as well.

~J