The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Can someone ID this part? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1287-can-someone-id-part.html)

Z 202 06-12-2008 03:40 PM

Can someone ID this part?

1 Attachment(s)
I've found about 4 of these in aft end of the storage areas under the bow seats. I'm assuming they've fallen down from somewhere above (windshield area). I've had a quick look up there, but I didn't see where exactly they might have come from.

Anyone know?

moondance100 06-12-2008 03:45 PM

I would guess they are factory "washers" of some sort. Windshield, bowrail, cleats, chocks, etc would seem to be the likely culprits. If everything looks in order, I'd guess someone in the factory dropped them during assembly.

indykoch 06-12-2008 04:46 PM

Those are "washers" that hold the dashboard to the fiberglass shell. If I remember correctly, there are studs glued to the plastic of the dash, then go thru holes in the fiberglass frame, thru the washers you mention, then nuts holding everything together.

You may have some of the glued studs falling off the dash, or as Doug stated, they were "dropped" during assembly. I'd take a close look if possible, that could cause quite a problem if the studs are broken off (not to mention a lot of squeeking and rattling)

bpfirrman 06-12-2008 04:52 PM

I also found 3 or 4 of those in my boat when I bought it but they were in the cupholder so I did not bother to find where they came from.

Z 202 06-12-2008 05:00 PM

Thanks for the good replies. I figured they were used to secure things somewhere up the windshield/helm area, so I was just looking for info to possilby narrow down my search.

No squeaks or rattles (actually none anywhere in the boat; a fact that really impressed me when I went on my test ride...) I didn't find any other hardware (nuts or bolts) to go with them, which kind of confused me. I'm going to do a more thorough investigation next time I'm at the boat, and I'll follow up with what I find.

mikeyt 06-12-2008 06:00 PM

I found a few of those when i first bought my boat too. I never did find out what they were for....

bpfirrman 06-12-2008 08:55 PM

Mariah droppings:yes_grin:

geiffert 06-13-2008 08:01 PM

hey guys I had the same pieces in my boat as well. Indy is right they do hold your dash to the fiberglass. If you look up in there are some rounded plastic pieces that pertrude through the fiberglass. those washers are the size they are because the holes in the fiberglass are so large. When i found them in my bow storage i was fortunate to have one of the screws with it as well so i went out and bought some more to reattach them to my dash. FYI the plastic pieces on the dash strip out easily, luckily I only made that mistake once. Good luck and good boating

MariahPD 06-14-2008 02:14 AM

Those are aluminum backing plates! We used a backing plate on any bolt that went through the deck or the hull. I would suspect they are possibly for the bow rails depending on exactly where you found them. The bow eyes and stern eyes, cleats ect. all used backing plates for reinforcement and better strength. Mariah was the first boat mfg. to use aluminum for backing plates.

bpfirrman 07-02-2008 10:10 PM

I did some investigating under my dash and it turns out I was missing about 6 screws, that is where the washers came from! The drivers side only had one left. I have replaced them all and should have a few less rattles next time I take it out. They must have vibrated out over the years, none of the threading in the plastic was missing.