The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Bilge pump issue (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1286-bilge-pump-issue.html)

adornare 06-12-2008 04:19 AM

Bilge pump issue

I'm having an issue with the automatic bilge pump. If I use the pump via the switch, it works fine. If I physically lift the float mechanisim on the automatic switch, it turns on. If the hull fills up with water, the pump does not kick on. I thought it was the switch, so I replaced it. Still does the same thing. Any wisemen out there with some insight on how to fix this issue. Help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Ador

indykoch 06-12-2008 01:55 PM

Lifting the switch manually engages the pump, but water won't??? That's strange! Are you sure there's enough water to make it float high enough to switch it on? Are there any obstructions getting in the way? Other than that, I'm clueless as well!

ShabahZ280 06-12-2008 02:31 PM

that does seem strange, however it usually takes quite a bit of water to make the switch float high enough to kick itself on.

Is your boat stored in the water, or trailered?

mikeyt 06-12-2008 03:08 PM

Is it possible the float has a hole in it? If so that would explain why you are able to manually trigger the switch by lifting the float but the water level wont lift it.

adornare 06-12-2008 03:57 PM

Bilge

I know it's strange! I thought there was a hole in the float, that's why I replaced it. Still does the same thing. And YES there's a TON of water in the hull. More than enough to activate the switch. My mechanic at the marine said that there is nothing wrong with it, but I know differently when I hit the blige switch before I launch it from the pier. Water pumps out for a couple of minutes after a heavy rain. I'm clueless.

indykoch 06-12-2008 04:56 PM

Maybe there's a short in the pump itself that won't allow the float switch to activate it once wet? I'd replace the whole darn thing and call it a day. They aren't that expensive, and being an extremely important part of the boat, I'd rather have that piece of mind.

One other thing - I know mine works perfectly on it's own (we've had quite a bit of rain lately), but when I "test" it by moving the float manually, it will only pump in a certain location - if I lift the float too high, it quits working. Maybe there's a contact point going bad. Maybe your's has the same issue just opposite - water alone won't make it float to the point you're lifting it to and getting it to work.

95Z212 06-22-2008 02:31 PM

It is very strange! The thing is, mine does it to. I hit the switch (on the DASH) and it would either blink or the bilge would kick on. Even if there isn't enough water to pick up it would kick on. So I shut the switch off, and left. Well I was lowering the boat down from the lift and must be it shook the water from the bow to the back and it kicked on all by itself. The weird thing is, I lifted the float switch all the way of to see if it would kick on and it didn't! Got me puzzeled but its in the lift and I am going back friday night so oh well!:)
PS: She ran AWESOME this weekend:yes_grin:

z275st 06-22-2008 09:37 PM

If you manually turn on the pump with water in the bilge and does it pump water? It may be that the impeller is loose and not spinning. You may need to take the pump out to see if impeller spins when motor is on.

adornare 06-24-2008 04:27 PM

The pump itself is working fine, either by dash switch or by manually lifting the float. When the boat is on the lift, and water enters the hull, the auto bilge does not turn on.

WetWilly 06-25-2008 04:11 AM

Hi adornare, it seems you got a good challenge going on with that pump...

I've got a wild guess but first, could I ask what brand and model bilge pump & float switch your running and a picture would be nice if you've got one.

Thanks,
WetWilly