The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Fuel Filter/Water Separator (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/12060-fuel-filter-water-separator.html)

DannyD 07-05-2018 07:56 PM

Fuel Filter/Water Separator

Since my 95 Talari 4.3LX died in the middle of the lake Tuesday with no fuel at all getting into carb, I have ordered a new electric fuel pump and a new filter/separator. I have not taken the old ones off yet.

I can see a number on the filter/separator that is puzzling me. It is 3226 I cannot find any fuel filter/water separator with any number close to that. That four digit number is often an "oil filter" number. Is it possible a previous owner could make the mistake of putting an oil filter where the fuel filter should be? They look a lot alike but not sure the seal and threads would match.

If it is possible and that is what they did could it have done any damage?

The filter in there also has the number 99-86483-C but I have not been able to find anything with that number on Google or on marine part sites.

GaryDoug 07-06-2018 02:44 AM

Re: Fuel Filter/Water Separator

That's a NAPA filter number and it is a fuel filter/water separator type. See the description on the side (2nd image). It looks like it's intended for automotive use but it seems like it could be used for marine use. Might not be rust preventive though if in a salt water environment. I doubt it would cause any damage.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3226

mikeyt 07-06-2018 03:17 AM

I simply use a Sierra 10 micron water/fuel separator filter, part# 18-7944 available at most marine parts vendors.

GaryDoug 07-06-2018 03:47 AM

He was inquiring about the filter on the engine now. He already has a correct one on order.

DannyD 07-06-2018 12:35 PM

Thanks! Have the Quicksilver filter and will be changing out as soon as my new pump arrives.

Motoxxx43 07-07-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 64795)
I simply use a Sierra 10 micron water/fuel separator filter, part# 18-7944 available at most marine parts vendors.

Just switched to these this season. So far I like it. Was running Wix without issues. Just found the Sierra 10 micron for a better price.

DannyD 07-10-2018 08:21 PM

Got the new fuel pump in yesterday and a new fuel filter/water separator (Quicksilver). Hooked up muffs and water hose and it started right off after about 15 seconds of cranking to get primed. Ran smoother than before. Restarted after a few minutes and it started instantly and it purred. Can't wait to get it back in the water.

On the bench the old pump ran and had some pressure but not sure how strong. When the old filter came off I dumped it in a white bucket and there was a lot of fine black material settled in bottom.

It is an easy replacement job. By the way, I found the pump at Summit Racing on line and the total bill with shipping was $67.00. Will see how long it goes but I am optimistic.

The more I have thought about the day it died I think it may have been my fault. It was 97 degrees and very humid. Boat has been setting in sun for a couple of hours before launch. It was a long way to get past the no wake buoys before I began to throttle up. Error ---- I did not run the blowers. I believe the engine compartment got so hot I had a "vaporlock" or at least something similar.

With no inboard engine experience I am not certain when to run blowers and how long to run them. Is there a rule of thumb on running blowers?

Appreciate all the replies.

Smiling with my repair ---- at least for now.

mikeyt 07-11-2018 12:01 AM

Run the blower(s) before you start up the boat and also when you are sitting & idling or just putt-putting along. Some people also run them for about 30 secs or so once they shut down but I dont really see that as necessary as long as you make a habit of running them before you start up.

DannyD 07-11-2018 02:17 AM

Makes sense. Will do.

Macker29 09-11-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx43 (Post 64807)
Just switched to these this season. So far I like it. Was running Wix without issues. Just found the Sierra 10 micron for a better price.

Yes, I have found Wix filters from Oreilly's to be pretty solid. No issues with them.