The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Bilge Pump location and questions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/12000-bilge-pump-location-questions.html)

wrturpin78 06-12-2018 02:05 PM

Bilge Pump location and questions

Hello all,

First post here, I apologize if it's not in the right area. I own a 1995 Barchetta 192 and it is taking on a ton of water. Last season it was bone dry, but the first two trips of this season it has taken on so much water that I'm lucky it hasn't sank, lol.

I am wanting to swap out the bilge pump, because it's clearly not working, but I have a couple problems, mainly that I can't find it. I need to verify if it's 19mm or 26mm before purchasing a new one.

Can anyone tell me how to access it and/or the size? My brother is coming in this weekend to help me (he's a life long boat guy) but I want to have the parts ready to go.

I see the tube coming from the exit hole, but it runs behind the engine and I would assume well below it, in order to get to the lowest part of the hull. How in the world do I gain access to that part of the boat? I see no obvious access points.

Thanks in advance.

mikeyt 06-12-2018 07:45 PM

Re: Bilge Pump location and questions

Sounds like you have a small split somewhere in your outdrive bellows.

The bilge pump should be clearly visible and more likely mounted in front of the engine on a small pad but it sounds like yours wasn't. I would assume that someone, at some point, has already replaced it. Normally on a boat that size a 950gph pump with a 1 1/4 drain line attached to the thru-hull is what is used.

Before you do that work though, you need to find the source of the incoming water.... or no bilge pump in the world will keep up if the bellows fails.

wrturpin78 06-13-2018 12:29 PM

Thank you for the response. Let me add a little more detail on my issue, not sure if it will be helpful or not. Both times this year the boat was on the water for about 6 - 7 hours, and I followed a pretty similar schedule; Drove around the lake for about an hour, anchored for about 2, pulled a tube off and on for about an hour, anchored again for 2hrs then drove back to the dock. Both trips the boat ran fine all day, even when pulling about 3+ hours into my trip, but when driving back to the dock I could only do about 15mph or less. Throttle would be wide open and rpm's stayed @ 3000. I assume this is because of the massive amount of water the boat had taken on both times. Just strange to me that it takes so long to fill. Also when I dropped the plug and the water came gushing out, I noticed it was hot, not boiling, but probably not far off.

The location of the bilge pump is still a bit of a mystery to me. I checked again last night and I just don't see it. I'm also confused a little bit on how it could be mounted as high as the engine compartment since that floor bottom seems too high, probably a good foot or so above the lowest part of the bilge.

mikeyt 06-14-2018 12:00 AM

I still believe you have a small split in your outdrive bellows for that much water to enter the bilge area. It's also quite possible that someone has removed the bilge pump for some reason? As i said, it should sit on a small pad right in front of the engine in plain site. There should be 3 wires going to it. A brown, a brown/white and a black ground wire.

Hudson River Steve 06-14-2018 11:19 AM

One explanation for the hot bildge water would be if the water level is up to the bottom of the oil pan then the engine could be transferring the heat to the bildge water. If the water is not as high as the oil pan are you certain you do not have a cooling system leak?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jarwiebe 06-19-2018 01:05 PM

This being the first two outings for this season might suggest that one of the drain block plugs was not closed after finishing your winterization last fall. This would account for the water in the bilge being warm/hot.