Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

new project called Shabah 218

Original Mariah Talk

Old 11-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

islander is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send islander:
a Private Message

Default new project called Shabah 218

Hi everyone
I have just recently being offered a 2001 Shabah 218 - it has been somewhat neglected and there is a chance of getting it for a favor more or less. However, I don't really want to purchase myself a major headache and I don't want to take my children out to sea without being sure the boat holds.
Therefore some questions that you hopefully can help me with (since on this corner of the world Mariah is as rare sight as little green men
First, what is the total weight of the boat, neither the manual says anything nor can this data be found on the sticker of the boat. It sits on a one-axle trailer specially made for Mariahs but that either doesn't state anything.
Secondly, the flooring is glassfibre but nevertheless a part of the floor feels kind of elastic, when stepped on it flexes half an inch or so. Something to consider? Is there wood under the plastic flooring that might be gone?
Is there truth in claims that 2001 year 218 has no wood in transom or stringers? The manual included with the boat shows all kind of encapsulated wood and aluminium back plates behind cleats and fittings but nothing about the main construction itself. If the boat has been neglected for a while with possibly rain-water inside (the cover is tear up at some places) is there a chance that it rots underneath the floor is is it "bullet-proof" on that matter?
Through-holes from the transom (like drain plug) - are they through solid plastic or through wood (I know some manufacturers use wood in transom but the drain plug hole is in solid plastic). What's the deal with Mariahs?
Can the water that is spilled inside (waves or rain water for that matter) reach to the foam filling under the floor or does the water escape through bilge without being in contact with the foam underneath the floor?
There is a hatch of some kind in the middle of the floor - say 2 by 4 ft. Probably a fuel tank cover? From what I can see the tank is stainless steel or aluminium. I'm more of interested what happens to the water that falls into the "slot" between the floor and the hatch (the hatch is screwed into stringers?)

I would really love to join the owners club as an actual Mariah owner but as you saw...there are question or two to clarify before. Any help on this is appreciated. Greeting from the other side of the globe
  • Old 11-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #2

Paul F is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 4

Send Paul F:
    a Private Message

Default Re: new project called Shabah 218

Sorry no one has responded. Is there is a flex in the floor, I would pass.
    Old 11-23-2017, 02:16 AM   #3

GaryDoug is currently offline
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z202
    My Engine: 5.7L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 5

Send GaryDoug:
    a Private Message

Oooops islander, sorry. Some how this one slipped past us. Not a lot of members here check posts every day (or week even). If you are still interested, we can try to answer your questions.
    -- I like to make my stuff last a while --
    Old 11-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

domraga is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 218
    My Engine: Volvo 5.7GL / SX-M
    Gallery Images: 32

Send domraga:
    a Private Message

I've got a 2001 218 and it's a fantastic boat. The fuel tank is aluminium and can be subject to corrosion, I had to have mine rebuilt. The boat is constructed in two parts, outer hull then liner. The liner is thinner in some areas, for example the cabin floor. Specifically where are you experiencing the deflection?

Drainage around the tank leads to the bilge, there are some pipes cast into the structure which can become blocked so suggest removing the tank and poking them clear. The bilge pump would take care of the rest.

In terms of structural construction, all Mariahs of a certain age (I think 1999 onwards) had this unique construction. I haven't had any issues with mine.