The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   After Two Years, The New Interior is Going In (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/11658-after-two-years-new-interior-going.html)

pllevine 07-21-2017 08:07 PM

After Two Years, The New Interior is Going In

Hi All:
Yeah..... it took two years but my 202s' interior is being gutted as we speak. I just took receipt of the custom Sunbrella bow and cockpit covers, and should finally have it all complete in three weeks.
Those of you that remember, my poor Mariah was sun-ravaged by the previous owners' lack of a boat cover.... for 10 or 12 years while it was moored in St Augustine FL. The result was this:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0eb7337818.jpg. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a97a348a10.jpg https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0491563558.jpg

Let's compare when I take photos three weeks from now. And if anyone needs new 202 cockpit and bow covers, I left my templates with my upholstery guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryDoug 07-22-2017 03:20 AM

Re: After Two Years, The New Interior is Going In

The Florida sun will kill stuff for sure. My boat lived in St Aug for a year. Thank God it was covered, as it is now. Looks like the boat was a party animal and got caught under a dock what with the bent safety grab rails up front? What is the shop charging for bow and cockpit covers? I might want to get a bow cover. I only have the full cover now.

Tron 07-23-2017 03:15 PM

How much is that going to cost? I've been dreaming about getting my 216pc talari re-done.

pllevine 07-23-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tron (Post 63373)
How much is that going to cost? I've been dreaming about getting my 216pc talari re-done.

Approximately $3000.00

TN_Diablo 07-26-2017 05:45 PM

Curious if you are using the same fabric/materials I think they came with ? Mine will need the sundeck rebuilt before too long just because of a few cracks. Not like yours and wow did that interior get neglected/abused at some point.

I found the Nautolex Grand Cayman swatches I got from Rochford supply seem to be the exact match.

baholtz 07-26-2017 08:10 PM

Check out the seabrook too....I think the grand cayman is pretty close, but the seabrook has a little higher durability rating.

pllevine 07-26-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_Diablo (Post 63428)
Curious if you are using the same fabric/materials I think they came with ? Mine will need the sundeck rebuilt before too long just because of a few cracks. Not like yours and wow did that interior get neglected/abused at some point.

I found the Nautolex Grand Cayman swatches I got from Rochford supply seem to be the exact match.

I looked at the Sea Teal Nautolex from Rochford Supply. They discontinued it so I am looking towards other manufacturers.... But I left instruction that the specs for the new material must meet or exceed Nautolex specs and thickness.....

baholtz 07-26-2017 09:19 PM

Stay away from the capitano then...durability wise, not as tough. I made that mistake on my new front seats. :mad:

pllevine 07-28-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baholtz (Post 63431)
Stay away from the capitano then...durability wise, not as tough. I made that mistake on my new front seats. :mad:

Thanks.... I think my upholstery guy is moving away from Nautolex entirely.... he tells me that he found a replacement that matches all of the Nautolex specs except for the crack temp goes from the -20F to -10F...
And don't forget that I'm in Central Florida....

TN_Diablo 07-28-2017 01:18 PM

We will want to see some pictures !

My sun deck is cracked in a few places but only my sundeck. It did happen over the winter probably due to low temps and we might see below 0 but -20 is very rare. I've learned not to put any weight or climb onto the deck when it is really cold. One crack was my fault for doing that to remove snow from the cover.

In Florida you probably have no worries.

pllevine 09-21-2017 01:14 AM

After Two Years, The New Interior is Going In

Just got a photo of the bow upholstery before it gets installed. And all of the wood was replaced with King Starboard. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind but we'll see where it goes.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...00b3df591e.jpg

GaryDoug 09-21-2017 01:33 AM

Nice! Excellent creative pattern too.

Jack L. 10-04-2017 12:26 AM

Very nice

pllevine 12-06-2017 07:35 PM

Well...... here we are two weeks to Christmas and I STILL do not have my boat back... it's still at the upholstery shop since last June. Does anyone else think that 6 months is a little excessive to re-do the interior of a 20' Mariah 202?

GaryDoug 12-06-2017 07:51 PM

You should check the hour meter when you get it back. They have probably been using the boat.

TN_Diablo 12-06-2017 09:39 PM

I suppose they started with the easiest stuff to do like the bow pieces and then when they got to those bucket seats they stalled out. I would think getting the bucket seats really right is very difficult to do. Maybe they've made them trying to use the old stuff as a pattern and then found they don't fit. Even a sundeck would scare me with my limited skills.

pllevine 12-07-2017 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_Diablo (Post 64120)
I suppose they started with the easiest stuff to do like the bow pieces and then when they got to those bucket seats they stalled out. I would think getting the bucket seats really right is very difficult to do. Maybe they've made them trying to use the old stuff as a pattern and then found they don't fit. Even a sundeck would scare me with my limited skills.

I tend to believe that you're right. He's not running my boat around because he has his 30 something foot Donzi parked next to my Mariah. He also has a pretty nice large cruiser moored up in Daytona....
I think that he can do canvas very well, but I'm not sure about the fine sewing that upholstery needs. All in all, I think it's time that I got my Mariah back from the guy....

MarioCush 12-13-2017 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pllevine (Post 64121)
All in all, I think it's time that I got my Mariah back from the guy....

You definitely do. I hope everything goes well with the upholstery.

pllevine 02-02-2018 04:12 PM

Hi All:
It's been a while, but here we are going into February. Guess what? No sign of my re-upholstered boat yet.... We're going into MONTH 8! When I asked for a definite completion date last November, the guy got really defensive and told me that I was close to him throwing the completed pieces into into my boat and telling me to come get it.... Then the cold snap here hit and I decided to leave it for a little bit until the weather warms back up.
I fully believe that this guy bit off more than he could chew and he is a good "canvas guy" and not a really good "upholstery guy"..... I need to call this whole thing to an end before it goes to my lawyer and it gets any uglier.
Let's see where this takes us.....

GaryDoug 02-02-2018 04:51 PM

It really sounds like he doesn't want to do it anymore. So, agree on a partial price, get your stuff and make it a win-win. There must be someone else that can finish it.

Tlolesen 02-05-2018 01:03 AM

You could get a boat built in that kind of time, go to the shop and see what is done and pay a discounted price because of the time taken and not completed. And get your boat back if they won't settle call the COPS

BoDog 02-28-2018 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlolesen (Post 64200)
You could get a boat built in that kind of time, go to the shop and see what is done and pay a discounted price because of the time taken and not completed. And get your boat back if they won't settle call the COPS

The police won’t get involved in the dispute but they can recover your boat as long as you’re the registered owner. Unfortunately it’s a civil matter. You can hire a lawyer or you can file a civil suit against him in small claims court. Either way it’s a PIA. Sorry to hear this.

pllevine 03-24-2018 10:00 PM

And the story continues.... and gets worse....

I checked with the owner of Salty Dog Custom Canvas and asked him at the end of February if the interior was done. Mind you, he started this project in June 2017, which is NINE months ago. He told me that it will be complete at the end of March. So, I reminded him that on 2/2/18, he told me that the boat would be done the end of February. I then said that he should pardon me if I acted a bit disappointed about it. His answer was one word..... "Pardoned". This rubbed me the wrong way and I reminded him that he's blown four separate deadlines. And we are into Month Number Nine!
A couple of days later, he tells me via text that his office landlord came by and wanted all of the boats gone from in front of his office. He has thrown all of the completed bow cushions and the rest of the parts and material into my boat and wants me to come get it. Captain chairs? Not finished. Bench seat? Not finished. Sundeck/Engine cover? Not done. Remember...... NINE MONTHS!
He texted me later and said that there was a guy a few storefronts down that does auto upholstery. He could finish the job.....
I am not dealing with this anymore. He got half the quoted money up front ($1500.00) and he's not getting a dime more..... My Mariah comes out of there Monday and I'll have to find someone else on Monday. And we're going to discuss the quality of what he did complete. I see puckered seams, bad folds in the corners and just shoddy work. Originally, I gave him a photo of an antique car and I wanted my new boat interior to emulate it:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac398eec07.jpg

What I got those many months later was the following:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2decdb55c7.jpg
And if you zoom into the cushions, you'll see the problem areas......

BoDog 03-25-2018 12:43 AM

At least you get to move in a new direction. Sorry about your troubles.

GaryDoug 03-25-2018 01:51 AM

He got in over his head and didn't know how to finish it.

If I am looking at his web site for the business in central Florida, it looks confusing. That main photo is obviously not in Florida. And the examples of his work are somewhat uncomplicated. Also there are references to engine work (wtf!)

pllevine 03-28-2018 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryDoug (Post 64331)
He got in over his head and didn't know how to finish it.

If I am looking at his web site for the business in central Florida, it looks confusing. That main photo is obviously not in Florida. And the examples of his work are somewhat uncomplicated. Also there area references to engine work (wtf!)

Well.... this part of the story ended tonight. I picked up my boat and brought it home. No arguments with the guy. If the landlord wanted my little 20' Mariah gone, so be it. Never mind the 40' Contender on the triple axle trailer next to it. Or the Ski Nautique awaiting a Bimini top.... I will re-assemble the boat as far as I can and get the last pieces done by someone else.....

GaryDoug 03-28-2018 03:35 AM

You are probably better off. Maybe try the auto upholstery shop? Can't be worse. Get going before the boating season is over. Wait ... in Fla, it's never over!! Just went boating the last month with family visitors from "up north". Good luck.

ShabahZ280 04-02-2018 02:04 AM

Wow... Sorry to hear of your troubles with that pllevine... I agree with Garydoug, try and find an auto upholstery shop to finish. You'll likely get 10x better work quality! Keep us all updated!:wink_thumbup: