The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   porpoising real bad need help (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/11621-porpoising-real-bad-need-help.html)

Shawn s 07-10-2017 06:52 PM

porpoising real bad need help

hi i have a 96 talari 209 this is the second season i have owned the boat
it had a hydrofoil on it when i purchased it ran fine last season with foil
foil got broken towards the end of last season now when i'm cruising at 3000 rpm and 30 mph
with trim adjusted it starts porpoising bad if i trim all the way down is stops but when i start going back up it starts again should i get a new foil or is there another way to fix this i have read where so members believe that foils are the worst

Firestone 07-10-2017 06:53 PM

Re: porpoising real bad need help

Smart tabs will fix that for you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TN_Diablo 07-11-2017 05:11 PM

Agree, but even with the Smart Tabs it may porpoise if you trim up enough and encounter the right choppiness. You can probably adjust the tabs stiffer to stop it but then you will loose top end speed. You will just have to play with them to strike the balance you prefer but it is nice they are easily adjusted.

Adding a foil to the lower unit is putting the wrong correction in the wrong place IMO and won't provide some of the other benefits you get from the tabs.

1996 Mariah Z252 07-11-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn s (Post 63134)
hi i have a 96 talari 209 this is the second season i have owned the boat
it had a hydrofoil on it when i purchased it ran fine last season with foil
foil got broken towards the end of last season now when i'm cruising at 3000 rpm and 30 mph
with trim adjusted it starts porpoising bad if i trim all the way down is stops but when i start going back up it starts again should i get a new foil or is there another way to fix this i have read where so members believe that foils are the worst

For the cheaper option you can buy a new hydrofoil. It may have warped while sitting over the winter without you noticing. The more expensive way is installing trim tabs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Scottie1961 07-14-2017 10:03 PM

Personally, I think the hydrofoil can cause issues over time. You are essentially extending the anti cavitation plate and incurring additional stress on the plate and trim rams. Over time this can cause failures. The Hydrofoil will exaggerate the affect of trimming the outdrive but at what expense?
To truly address the problem the hull needs to be stabilized when on plane. That's where the Smart Tabs come in. They will allow quicker planing and a more stable ride and limit the porpoising to some extent. With that said by trimming the outdrive too far you can still cause porpoising which I think means the hull is losing plane surface which causes the bouncing.
By the way the SmartTabs can be had for $100 to $130 so I don't think they're that much more expensive than a nice Hydrofoil. Just my $.02

Shawn s 07-17-2017 08:02 AM

thanks for the responses i was figuring that smart tabs was going to be the best route i was just hoping that there was something that i didnt think of that didnt require putting holes in the boat

Firestone 07-17-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn s (Post 63246)
thanks for the responses i was figuring that smart tabs was going to be the best route i was just hoping that there was something that i didnt think of that didnt require putting holes in the boat

Yeah, I was there as well last year as well. Measure 3 times before and after dry fit [emoji15]. 3M 5200 fast cure made sure I did not have any issues. Best value $ I have spent on the boat.

mikeyt 07-17-2017 05:57 PM

Anyone who sticks a hydrofoil on their outdrive needs to be shot and pissed on, and not necessarily in that order.

USE SMART TABS.

Firestone 07-17-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 63251)
Anyone who sticks a hydrofoil on their outdrive needs to be shot and pissed on, and not necessarily in that order.

USE SMART TABS.

Wow!

BraskyBoats 07-18-2017 03:38 PM

Had the same problem on my 94' Talari. Spoke to a buddy at the marina and asked if he had any ideas. First thing he asked after I described the problem is if I had a hydrofoil. His response was to take it off and enjoy my weekend lol. Removed it and I was good to go. He said his marina won't even install them anymore due to too many people having them put on and coming back a day later VERY upset. If it's not something you really need, be done with the thing and enjoy.

Brasky