Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

1996 Shabah 180 smart tabs SX

Original Mariah Talk

Old 07-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #21

pole trick is currently offline
My Year: 1996
My Model: 180 Shabah
My Engine: 4.3 Merc
Gallery Images: 0

Send pole trick:
a Private Message

Default Re: 1996 Shabah 180 smart tabs SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Diablo View Post
Sorry, it might have been someone else who was thinking about a foil on the lower unit. We send the dogs after them if they do that.
Defiantly not me on the whale tail! Not a fan or beliver of those..lol.

The tail may keep my gal from walking in to the lower unit and prop while on sand bar...lol.....after the 5th time.....I would of thought she knew it was still in same spot as last time she hit it..5min ago....lol

Last edited by pole trick; 07-26-2017 at 11:07 PM.
  • Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #22

Send pole trick:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TN_Diablo View Post
    We tried to tell you that Some here were probably prepared to hunt you down if you put a foil back on.

I thought about the white version and wondered how it would look but decided black to match the motor. With the white ones it's sort of shouting at you to clean the hull now
    That is as clean as it gets prev owner applied anti foul bottom paint....it is all messed up from water line down.....was in wet docks during last ownership..I not cleaning that crap off just going to run it as is and enjoy it...
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 07-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #23

TN_Diablo is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0 Mercruiser

Send TN_Diablo:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pole trick View Post
    That is as clean as it gets prev owner applied anti foul bottom paint....it is all messed up from water line down.....was in wet docks during last ownership..I not cleaning that crap off just going to run it as is and enjoy it...
    I wondered why it looked the way it did and thought how does it get like that but now I see the paint. The out drive appeared really clean so it puzzled me and I guess I've never seen bottom paint on a smaller runabout. Also have no idea what would be involved to bring it back nor would I want to attempt to remove it unless it was as simple as a pressure washer. I would just enjoy it too.
    Firestone likes this.

Last edited by TN_Diablo; 07-27-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    Old 07-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #24

Send pole trick:
    a Private Message

I removed some of the paint where tabs installed to silicone to gel coat. They scored the whole bottom up to water line gel coat with about 60 grit sand paper to get paint to adhere....there no easy or cheap fix for it. If removed the bottom paint the gel coat is all scored and would have to be sanded to get marks out then buffed out....anti foul paint is a bad idea unless really needed for how your keep your boat stored.
    Firestone likes this.
    Old 07-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #25

Send pole trick:
    a Private Message

My brother and I just purchased the boat this spring with a bad motor it had water in the oil and they ran it until the bearing spun and wrecked the crank and rods. We had it rebuilt with good used crank, rods and pistons from different cracked frozen engine. The boat and drive look to be low hours and well cared for. Just they let boat fill with rain water and got in to engine and wrecked it. Do to paint bottom and bad engine we bought it for scrap price....I really happy with boat now that we installed smart tabs...hated it before had to many bad habits while driving...smart tabs so far cured them...I used to race boats and I hate bad driving boats that bounce and hop and plane hard...drive goofy. when I point a boat straight I expect it to come to nice plane and hang there no bouncin just do what good boats do..
    Old 09-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #26

Send pole trick:
    a Private Message

Got about 25 hours of run time with smart tabs. Really like them. Been in number 3 hole. Just move to number 2 hole not tried it yet. Nose seem a little bit heavy in 3 hole so seeing what 2 hole does.

Last edited by pole trick; 03-28-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    Old 09-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #27

Send pole trick:
    a Private Message

Picked back up the two miles an hour I lost by putting the smart tabs on by going to the number two Hole. All the improvements I gained with the smart tabs stayed. just the speed went back to where it was before the tabs. I never was worried about the loss of speed due to the great improvements driving wise from the Smart Tabs, but the boat just felt nose-heavy even at full trim, so went to number two hole and speeds back to where it should be and all improvements still there. Very happy with them.
    Old 09-19-2017, 12:08 AM   #28

zrbart2000 is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3 alph LH

Send zrbart2000:
    a Private Message

I hadn't seen your post before I installed mine last Friday but I decided to try in hole 2 to start. Verry happy that the speed is still there. low speed wander is almost totally gone. I was thinking of trying number 3 but I dont think I will bother.
    Old 03-28-2018, 01:34 AM   #29

Send pole trick:
    a Private Message

Been a while since last posted, water is still hard and cold in middle of WI getting itchy for a run in the boat....

My observations of the smart tabs install from last year. Best $125.00 I spent on boat improvements ever!!! people that rode in the boat before and after give them a thumbs up. totally changed the boat ride!

I usually do a lot of narrow river running and use number 2 hole it seems to be best setting for that type of water and traffic and calmer days on lakes on chain.

If going out knowing the wind will be up, also when on bigger lakes, or lots of boats traffic number 3 gives best rough water ride. Maybe even number 4 if really bumpy water, but ever tried it.

The higher the number the harder they keep the nose down and more top end speed you scrub off. I am willing sacrifice little bit of speed for good ride on a rough day.

We keep the boat on trailer when not in use ,so to change holes takes only about 5 to 8 min on trailer.

4.3 2 barrel alpha drive

Number 2 or 3 hole on tabs and 20 pitch Merc aluminum 4 blade is best all around ride and handling for normal use, turns on a dime never blows out

Number 2 hole with Merc stainless 3 blade 23 pitch laser 2 prop, all vents open is best top end go fast setup (1 or 2 person and cooler of 36 beers and ice)!!! Runs good never blows out if correctly trimmed down in extreme hard corner. Light load only , prop is too big if more then 3 people in boat with full cooler!!! 21 or 22 pitch might be perfect here not found one to test!

53w

Last edited by pole trick; 03-28-2018 at 01:42 AM.