The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Electronic Compass Help (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/1078-electronic-compass-help.html)

mis4tun81 05-05-2008 03:44 PM

Electronic Compass Help

So I was excited to finally put my Mariah in the water over the weekend, and so far I can only find one thing that isnt working correctly. The compass.

It initializes like it is supposed to, 225 degrees for a few seconds, but then it swings and freezes within 10 or 15 degrees of north. Looking online and through the instructions I couldn’t find anything that helps me other than to make sure it is not in compensation mode, I verified the brown wire isn’t grounded at the gauge and that the gauge terminals are clean.

But I don’t know where the sensor is to check the wiring going to that.

If any one knows where the sensor is located on a 2001 z275 please let me know, so I don't have to dig around chasing wires.

Also curious to know if anyone knows what the problem might be.

thanks

mis4tun81 05-06-2008 03:38 PM

With help from Z275 thanks.

I was able to find the sensor (on the floor in the space between the mid cabin and the console)

I was just able to reach it, and check the wires going into it, but that didn't help.

Maybe this weekend I will pull it out and check to see if everything is properly connected and free of corrosion.

sailorman73072 05-23-2008 11:29 AM

had the same problem on Z-224, went to Faria instument page and read the install page for compass. Sensor was on floor below dash, after hooking brown wire to ground post, removed the screws holding the sensor and placed it between the seats. Turned switch on and slowly turned the sensor one turn in one minute. The compass turned from north to south for several seconds, if it had turned east for 7 seconds then would have done it again. Unhooked brown wire moved sensor back and compass works great. http://www.faria-instruments.com/

mis4tun81 05-23-2008 02:32 PM

I definitly appreciate your feedback.

I logged an RMA online with Faria, and took the whole system out of the boat to send it in for repair.

I hooked it up to a powersupply to see if it did anything differently on the bench, and tried to do the brown wire calibration, It flipped to south once then back to north and froze there again.

I didnt try too hard because I didn't suspect that was the problem. Maybe I should have tried harder.

Good news is I just got an email from Faria saying its fixed and shipped back, tracking shows it out for delivery.

I should have it back in the boat this weekend.

Thanks again

z275st 05-23-2008 06:34 PM

Hey, mis4tun81
This is good info to know. I was wandering what that little box went to, I thought maybe the speedometer. There is no way I would be able reach it!:shakehead: If I ever have a problem I will need you to come down and get it fore me! ;)

mis4tun81 05-23-2008 06:53 PM

It was a stretch, sure nuff....

I had to disassemble the interior to be able to almost reach it!!! It was worth it though because I took the time to wire in my Ipod controller to both radios.

Took the trim strip that covers the corner of the step through to the cabin off. It covered the screws holding the cabin wall over the back of the dash in place.

Pried it back enough to just barely get a shoulder in and get a screwdriver on the sensor screws.

I have no idea how I will get it back in and lined up right. I suppose I could move it closer to the center of the boat, it would make it 10x easier to install and line up with the centerline of the boat.

Looks like Faria replaced the sensor, the gauge housing looks like the same one I sent externally, maybe with new internals no way to know.

I look forward to filling the big hole in the dash left when I took it out before guests arrive.

Have a good weekend

Gearhead 10-29-2020 04:40 PM

Re: Electronic Compass Help

Do you have a pdf copy of the compass installation manual? I know this post is from 08 but Faria doesn’t make or support these anymore and I am having a similar issue with mine right now