The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   1996 Z255 7.4L B3 Duoprop (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/10609-1996-z255-7-4l-b3-duoprop.html)

dsmutny 01-16-2016 02:35 AM

1996 Z255 7.4L B3 Duoprop

I have a cabin cruiser that I would like to make it an open bow. Sounds crazy or not.
Also I have a dual action throttle I want to change to single action. Any suggestions?

Motoxxx43 01-17-2016 09:54 PM

Re: 1996 Z255 7.4L B3 Duoprop

Welcome to MOC! I have read a few write ups on cabin to open bow conversions. Can't say I've seen it done on a larger boat such as yours but I'm sure with enough money there is a fiberglass shop willing to do the work. If you are serious about such a thing spend some time looking on Google at conversions as I don't recall reading one on MOC.
The shifter you have is an upgrade. Typically used on performance orientated boats. It might take some time to get used to. Keep in mind that it is not as easy an unbolting the dual levers and bolting on a single. The two types of shifters mount to the boat differently and that's something that would have to be addressed. I've been contemplating a swap from my single to the dual and the mounting has kinda been the hang up.

dsmutny 01-19-2016 12:25 AM

Thanks for the reply. I thought the single throttle would be easier to navigate so what are the differences between single and dual throttles. Maybe I should stay with my dual throttle. I'm using the boat mainly for pleasure cruising and water skiing for the kids.

ShabahZ280 01-20-2016 11:58 AM

Trust me, the Kiekhafer "Zero Effort" controls are quite a bit easier than the single action. I had them on my previous boat, and really wish my Z280 had them.

As for the cuddy cruiser to open bow conversion, I'd suggest just keeping your boat the way it is, and trading it in for an open bow, if that's what you really want. It's a hell of an undertaking, which will likely cost you around what the boat is worth to do properly. After that, you'll have decreased the value of the boat and likely ruined the resale much more than you'd imagine. No one wants to buy a boat that's been customized to that level by someone who isn't the original manufacturer. Cuddies were, and still are more expensive due to the creature comforts and luxuries that are included. They're structurally different in design than the standard bowrider due to the weight differences. Your boat is designed to ride a certain way based completely on it's structure. If you reduce the weight in the bow drastically by removing the cuddy structure, your boat will never ride correctly. People that buy Mariahs are looking for a high quality boat that's built to last, which is likely why you purchased it in the first place. Compromising that by converting the boat to something else is just asking for trouble on so many levels. If you're not happy with your Z255, I suggest just trading it and getting a boat that's more suitable for your needs. Otherwise, keep it, save yourself tons of money to put into the fuel tank for cruising and watersports, maybe add some nice additions like a swim platform for the kids, a good stereo, and just enjoy your boat the way it is!