The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   quicksilver keyless ignition question (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/10465-quicksilver-keyless-ignition-question.html)

herm5000 09-03-2015 04:24 AM

quicksilver keyless ignition question

I recently purchased a z302 that has the keyless ignition in it. It did not come with a key. I have been working on an engine install and finally have it completed. ( a fresh 525sc!) I called mercury marine and they did some research and called me back and told me that after the battery is unhooked for a long enough period of time the code will default to 0000. I also have the manual downloaded from this site. So I pushed in 0000 and hit run. The blower kicked on as it should and I heard chirps as I put in the code and every so often while blower is running just like the manual said. However when I hit start nothing! no click no noise no chirp nothing. I can put a remote switch on the starter and fire it right up. I have bypassed the neutral safety switch on the shifter and it doesn't make any difference. I have a couple of questions.

First do you have to have the code right to even get the run switch to start the blower? in other words does the fact that I can hit run and start the blower mean that I have the code right or will it always work when you hit run but have to have the code to start?

second, do you have to let the blower run for a few minutes before it will start? ( manual mentions 5 min) Or should it start right away even though the blower has not ran that long?

also can you still use key if you have it or do you have to disconnect system

Does anyone have any other ideas what might be going on? Thanks in advance.

ShabahZ280 09-03-2015 08:43 PM

Re: quicksilver keyless ignition question

If I remember correctly, the run button won't work unless the correct code is entered. There's no timer which prohibits you from hitting the start button after run, but it's best to let it run for a minute or two, just to get the fuel vapors out. If it won't start, try cycling through the gears (assuming you have the "zero effort kiekhafer" system. That was one thing that I had difficulty with, from time to time, is making sure the transmission is in true neutral, otherwise it wouldn't start. What about the safety lanyard switch, did you try that as well? Should be a red button that the lanyard attaches into.

You can still use the key ignition with the keyless system installed. Just enter the 0000 code, and hit "stop" to lock it back up. Then you can use the key as you see fit.

If you can't get it fixed, and you absolutely can't live without the keyless ignition feature, occasionally the new-old stock keyless ignition systems come up on ebay.

Oregondunes 09-11-2015 11:42 PM

Re: quicksilver keyless ignition question

do you have the dead man key in place ?