The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Questions on 200 Z308 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/10264-questions-200-z308.html)

ipgregory 06-23-2015 07:42 PM

Questions on 2000 Z308

Hi Guys,

Looking at the idea of buying a 2000 Z308 and wanted somewhere to post up questions.

1st one, the Fridge on a boat I am looking at has an intermittent issue and may need replacing. Anybody know what the make and model is of the original Fridge and or a possible source?

Thx

Ian

ShabahZ280 06-23-2015 08:03 PM

Re: Questions on 200 Z308

It's made by Norcold, (who is now owned by Thetford) and is a 12/110v model. If it's got issues, figure that replacing it will cost around $1k. They may not make that specific model anymore, so you may also have to look into other manufacturers, such as Dometic or Isotherm. As far as a source, start with West Marine, and then research and price shop online. There should be many online retailers and specialty shops who carry them. Hope this helps!

Just FYI though, the fridge is down inside the cabin, the icemaker is what's in the cockpit area up top. If that's what the problem is, that's a whole other can of worms.

ipgregory 06-23-2015 08:20 PM

Thx Chris. Not sure exactly yet. Seller mentioned that the fridge was intermittent and probably needed replacing. I assumed he meant the one down in the galley rather than the icemaker up top. I will verify though. Appreciate the help.

Edit - Looks like I have a number of options at around $1k as you said. Icemaker about the same or a little more looks like but both seem to be readily available which is good. I will bear that in mind as I am considering the boat. Thx Again Chris.

ipgregory 06-24-2015 09:41 PM

Re: Questions on 2000 Z308

OK I just put a deposit down on the boat I was looking at. It's a 2000 Z308. Not in my hands yet but it's looking good.

Can any 308 or other MCC owners offer me up any advice on things to look out for or other advice?

It's a twin engine (5.0 Mercs), has the AC/Genset Options fitted as well as the Radar Arch and Power Anchor.

ShabahZ280 06-29-2015 05:04 PM

I'd highly recommend having it professionally surveyed by an independent marine surveyor.... (that's not affiliated with the marina or broker you're purchasing it from). It'll cost anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand dollars extra, but it's absolutely worth it. Had mine surveyed and the results he found were pretty good things to know. In addition to checks of the engine and all the related systems, he found water intrusion in the generator block, which ended up being about a $3k repair, and this helped the negotiation of the deal. Trust me, with a purchase this big (and with 3 engines, two outdrives. and numerous systems on board), you definitely want to get things looked over by a professional before signing the deal.

ipgregory 07-01-2015 03:39 AM

Thx Chris,

Very good advice, I will be looking to have surveyor give it a once over.

ShabahZ280 07-03-2015 03:29 AM

Trust me. You'll thank yourself in the end! My survey was around $5-$600 and included a sea trial, with performance data (most surveyors will be able to tap into the engine's diagnostic port and get all the relevant info like error codes, fuel consumption, hours, and other info). The mechanicals were inspected thoroughly, including spark plugs, engine compression, etc and documented. I was presented two documents, one of performance data and system checks, and the other with findings and recommendations for repair. If nothing else, it's just peace of mind knowing you're not getting into something that you'll regret.

The Z308 is an absolute sweet boat, and if it gets a good clean bill of health from the surveyor, jump on it, they're the flagship of the Mariah brand. From the build sheet records, there appears to only be about 25 of them ever built.

Just out of curiosity, are you looking at the "Nauti Nymph"?

ipgregory 07-03-2015 04:17 AM

Thx Chris.

Sent you a PM.

ipgregory 07-08-2015 11:29 PM

A few more questions. I have searched and looked over the Mariah Parts thread but cant find the answers. Thanks in advance for any help.

1. What make is the factory Anchor Windlass?
2. Will a Faria Depth Gauge Head Unit work with the factory Transducer? The factory unit is a Lowrance 3500 but the display is dead.
3. Is it an in hull or Transom Mounted Transducer for the Depth Gauge?
4. What is the make of the factory remote spot light at the bow?
5. What make is the Driver's Windshield Wiper Motor?

TIA

ShabahZ280 07-09-2015 07:55 PM

Here's some answers, from my Z280, which should be the same equipment used on the Z308.

1. Factory windlass is a Simpson Lawrence Sprint series (mine is a 600)
2. I'm not sure if the Faria depth gauge will work with the Lowrance transducer. That'd be one to contact Faria's support team and see what they say. Not to say it's not possible, but you can still get the Lowrance 3500 units, you just have to do some serious searching for them!
3. Depth gauge transducer is mounted inside the hull
4. The factory remote spotlight is made by Jabsco
5. The driver's windshield wiper system is made by AFI

Hope this helps!