Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

99 7.4 Mercruiser Starting Issue's

Mercury MerCruiser

Old 11-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #1

99 Mariah 258 is currently offline
My Year: 1999
My Model: Z258
My Engine: 7.4 & Bravo 3
Gallery Images: 14

Send 99 Mariah 258:
a Private Message

Default 99 7.4 Mercruiser Starting Issue's

Hello everybody. So after being stranded I replaced my starter and replaced connectors to the starter and still didn't start .....tried turning the key a bunch. I then replaced the ignition switch turned the key and.... Nothing. But after 2 more turns of the key she fired up. After warming up it , she started first try like 5 times.....1 week passed I take the boat out turned it on and off 10 times w/ no problem.. Yesterday...take her out she fires up good ....turned on and off a few times. Then at home flushing the motor she won't turn on until the 3rd or 4th turn of the key...... When I turn the key I hear a light click in the motor but starter doesn't fire..... I'm guessing it's a bad connection somewhere but with new starter and connectors and a new ignition switch is there something I'm missing to clean or replace on the ignition system..... Any help is appreciated... Thanks
  • Old 11-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 99 7.4 Mercruiser Starting Issue's

Did you check/replace the starter slave solenoid?
    Old 11-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #3

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve View Post
    Did you check/replace the starter slave solenoid?
    No....... Is it not the one that's attached to the top of the starter or is it a seperate solenoid like on old Fords...Where would it be located. Thanks for your help again Steve... This is driving me crazy not knowing if she'll start or not.... Not worried if I'm with my buddy's and we get stuck but I put a hold on taking my kids out until I get this resolved.
    Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

It's like the old Fords. I believe the slave solenoid on your motor is located on the back of the engine, near the 50A circuit breaker. I believe you have to remove the starboard, plastic engine cover to get to it. The slave solenoids have a tendancy to go bad and when they do you will hear a click but the starter will not turn. They are pretty inexpensive...worth a shot.
    Old 11-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #5

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    It's like the old Fords. I believe the slave solenoid on your motor is located on the back of the engine, near the 50A circuit breaker. I believe you have to remove the starboard, plastic engine cover to get to it. The slave solenoids have a tendancy to go bad and when they do you will hear a click but the starter will not turn. They are pretty inexpensive...worth a shot.
    Thanks for your help.......again..
    That is definitely going to be the problem. Going to pick one up at west marine now... Thanks again
    Old 11-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Let us know how it turns out for you.
    Old 11-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #7

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

Still on my mission.. I bought a solenoid online and received a cheap Chinese solenoid. She was still starting with a couple turns of the key so I went fishing. Brought the solenoid with just in case. She turned on perfect a few times and then at the end of the day... She quit completely. Wouldn't hear a click or even the 3 beeps when you first turn the key.. So I throw in the new solenoid and ..... Nothing... I jump the solenoid and get her started and get to the dock..... Now she won't turn on at all without jumping it. I'm planning on buying a quicksilver solenoid now but I'm guessing it's a wiring issue so when I get the new solenoid I'm going to check the wires with a test light.....
    Old 11-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Always good to use a test light or better yet a voltmeter to help diagnose rather than throwing parts at it. You should reference all your readings with either the test light or the voltmeter to the negative terminal of the battery (B-).
    You need to follow the signal from the ignition switch. Ensure that you have 12V @ the "B" terminal of the switch at all times. If you are missing 12V at the B terminal then you need to check the 20A fuse in line with the Red/Purp wire. The red/purp wire shoudl be hot all the time. Turn the switch one click to ignition and ensure you have 12V @ the "I" terminal. Then turn the switch to start and ensure you are seeing 12V @ the "S" terminal. If you are getting all of these votlages then your switch is good...which it should be since it is new.
    If all is OK under the dash, go back to your starter slave solenoid and monitor the Yellow/Red wire, this is connected to the "S" terminal on your ignition switch. You should see 12V at this terminal each time the switch is turned to start. If this 12V signal is missing you either have a bad neutral saftey switch in your shifter or a wiring issue between the ignition switch and the shifter or the shifter to the slave solenoid. If all is OK with this signal then turn your attention to the black or yellow/black wire on the slave solenoid. This wire goes back to the engine ground and eventually to the B- terminal of the battery. If this ground is intermittant your slave solenoid will not operate correctly.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    Steve
    Old 11-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #9

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Always good to use a test light or better yet a voltmeter to help diagnose rather than throwing parts at it. You should reference all your readings with either the test light or the voltmeter to the negative terminal of the battery (B-).
    You need to follow the signal from the ignition switch. Ensure that you have 12V @ the "B" terminal of the switch at all times. If you are missing 12V at the B terminal then you need to check the 20A fuse in line with the Red/Purp wire. The red/purp wire shoudl be hot all the time. Turn the switch one click to ignition and ensure you have 12V @ the "I" terminal. Then turn the switch to start and ensure you are seeing 12V @ the "S" terminal. If you are getting all of these votlages then your switch is good...which it should be since it is new.
    If all is OK under the dash, go back to your starter slave solenoid and monitor the Yellow/Red wire, this is connected to the "S" terminal on your ignition switch. You should see 12V at this terminal each time the switch is turned to start. If this 12V signal is missing you either have a bad neutral saftey switch in your shifter or a wiring issue between the ignition switch and the shifter or the shifter to the slave solenoid. If all is OK with this signal then turn your attention to the black or yellow/black wire on the slave solenoid. This wire goes back to the engine ground and eventually to the B- terminal of the battery. If this ground is intermittant your slave solenoid will not operate correctly.
    Let us know how it turns out
    Steve
    Thank you so much Steve .... Definitely should have diagnosed before replacing parts.... Learning things the hard way with my first boat....Anyhow I appreciate all your help with all my problems.
    Old 11-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #10

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

Hello Everybody ...... Happy Thanksgiving

Finally bought a good test light and checked everything according to my manual provided by Hudson River Steve (thank you so much ) and first problem I came across was the new ignition switch has power where it should up until the cranking position and won't energize the yellow/red wire that goes to the slave solenoid. So I figure it's just the new west marine ignition switch is garbage ..... But then I try to jump the slave solenoid with a screwdriver just to run the boat on the hose and she won't crank at all. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I put my battery charger on but it showed battery's at full charge...long story short..I clean all battery terminals .. I get main power at the starter and I get power at the starter solenoid when I jump the slave solenoid ... So that means the starter is bad also??????? I'm planning on taking it off Saturday and getting it tested and getting a new ignition switch under warranty..... The starter may be bad because it was a cheapo ebay starter and I'm going to a local place to buy a actual marine quality starter if it's bad.