Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

99 7.4 Mercruiser Starting Issue's

Mercury MerCruiser

Old 12-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #11

lisapaul1 is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send lisapaul1:
a Private Message

Default Re: 99 7.4 Mercruiser Starting Issue's

Electrical issues are always fun....especially intermittent ones. Years ago, I saw this issue in a car I owned. It turned out to be a bad wire going to the starter. I cleaned the connections, replaced the solenoid, replaced the ignition switch, checked the battery and finally looked at the wires. What was happening was a wire was partially broken/corroded near the connector, when I went to start it would sometimes work and sometimes fail...I finally found it by taking a VOM meter and checked to see where I had voltage and where it stopped. I had to do this when the car would not start. I found the wire ( I believe it was 6 ga). that went from the battery to the starter had corroded internally. Replaced the wire and problem solved.

Hope this helps..... I used a long wire with alligator clamps to connect to one end and my meter on the other.
Thank you lisapaul1 for this useful post!
99 Mariah 258 (12-05-2014)
  • Old 12-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #12

99 Mariah 258 is currently offline
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z258
    My Engine: 7.4 & Bravo 3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisapaul1 View Post
    Electrical issues are always fun....especially intermittent ones. Years ago, I saw this issue in a car I owned. It turned out to be a bad wire going to the starter. I cleaned the connections, replaced the solenoid, replaced the ignition switch, checked the battery and finally looked at the wires. What was happening was a wire was partially broken/corroded near the connector, when I went to start it would sometimes work and sometimes fail...I finally found it by taking a VOM meter and checked to see where I had voltage and where it stopped. I had to do this when the car would not start. I found the wire ( I believe it was 6 ga). that went from the battery to the starter had corroded internally. Replaced the wire and problem solved.

Hope this helps..... I used a long wire with alligator clamps to connect to one end and my meter on the other.
    I gave up already... I bought a new quicksilver (mercruiser) starter new slave solenoid and cleaned the battery terminals and now the boat is worst than ever . After changing everything I turn the key and hear no warning beeps and the fuel pump didn't even click on which has never happened...I switch the battery selector to 2 batt instead of All and I hear the fuel pump ...won't start with the key so I jump the solenoid....I run her for 10 mins and the boat just turns off abruptly.....which it has never turned off on me before....at this point I give up and throw in the towel. Definitely a wiring problem somewhere.Now I'm trying to find a good boat mechanic in Miami. Icing on the cake is the new puppy I gave my daughter 3 months ago decides to eat all the decorative icicles on my Christmas tree and and a iPhone gel cell phone case and I had to pay $1000+ in vet bills. So the boats on hold for a few weeks.....Sucks
    Old 12-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #13

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

She's worst than a woman.... Left out that I just pampered her with all new trailer rims,tires,lugs and hub covers and all new trailer lights and she does this to me......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh .....Still love her
    Old 12-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #14

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Wow, you are having a run of bad luck. Your electrical issue is sounding like you have a intermittant ground issue between the block and the B- terminal of the battery. That would explain why it abruptly shut off and why it won't start sometimes. Did you ever check the connection of the large diameter black wire that is usually attached to a stud on the rear of the engine? If you have corrosion/rust on this connection or if the crimp betwen the wire and the lug is flakey....you would be experiencing what you have been. It is tough to see this connection since it is all the way at the rear of the motor where the bell housing it bolted to the block.
    Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #15

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

I think it will definitely be a grounding issue but I'm going to let the mechanic handle it. I'm done with trying to play boat mechanic. My buddy from a local marina knows a mechanic that supposed to be the best with cheap prices but we'll see how that goes... I think I'm going to have him change all the battery connections and check all the connections that I made. I just want her to turn on when I turn the key.... The fishing in Miami is amazing now and I'm watching from the sidelines. Thanks again to steve and other for the advice.
    Thank you 99 Mariah 258 for this useful post!
    Asample34 (04-17-2017)
    Old 12-18-2014, 02:14 AM   #16

Send 99 Mariah 258:
    a Private Message

Took her to the mechanic and it was running 5 hrs later.... He said there was a short in a main power supply ( whatever that is ) and the ground was bad which prob. means that it was only a ground issue. I really don't care ....... He also replaced the ignition switch again..He charged me $300 bucks which I found fair. I guess.....I'm just happy I have my boat running again. I just bought the complete bellow & gimbal kit and I'm going to have him service my Outdrive & Change the gimbal bearing. Still want to thank everybody that helped me out......
    Also.... My pos puppy ended up costing $1200 bucks to cut him open and clean him up but he's all better now.....