The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   99 Mercruiser 7.4 won't start Starter Issue's ?????? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/9853-99-mercruiser-7-4-wont-start-starter-issues.html)

99 Mariah 258 10-14-2014 02:56 PM

99 Mercruiser 7.4 won't start Starter Issue's ??????

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody,

Was out yesterday and I stopped a couple times and all was good. Stopped at a local picnic island and then she wouldn't start. Battery's are charged . I'm guessing it's the starter but does anybody know if a fuse or trip that would cause this? Only good news was I broke down next to a Tow Boat USA port and they were there in 5 min and pulled me in to my marina.

Hudson River Steve 10-14-2014 05:15 PM

Re: 99 Mercruiser 7.4 won't start Starter Issue's ??????

Need a little more information. Did the motor crank and not start or no crank at all? If the later then I assume you checked that the shifter was in neutral. Did you check the starter slave solenoid?

99 Mariah 258 10-14-2014 11:26 PM

Couldn't check the starter because I couldn't see it. The starter makes no noise at all and the batteries are charged.....the 3 beeps come on with ignition in on position.

Hudson River Steve 10-15-2014 03:12 PM

I am not aware of beep codes on a 1999 7.4 MPI. My understanding is that you get a 2 sec beep at power on and if anything is wrong (Over Temp, Low Oil Press, Low Drive Oil Level) then is beeps continuous. Did you check your circuit breaker, red button on the engine near the big engine connector to see if it tripped?

99 Mariah 258 10-15-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve (Post 55423)
I am not aware of beep codes on a 1999 7.4 MPI. My understanding is that you get a 2 sec beep at power on and if anything is wrong (Over Temp, Low Oil Press, Low Drive Oil Level) then is beeps continuous. Did you check your circuit breaker, red button on the engine near the big engine connector to see if it tripped?

I just checked and it wasn't tripped. I get the first 2 sec beep at power up ... Was thinking about checking power to the starter but I can barely see it. Was planning on pulling the manifold when my starter comes in and checking power then....

99 Mariah 258 10-20-2014 01:11 AM

Changed the starter and all the leads going to the starter ... Cleaned all connections to batteries and still wouldn't turn....pulled out the ignition switch and fiddled with it a little and she finally fired up..... Now I'm just going to replace the ignition switch.

Can I use any generic 4 position switch from west marine.... Thanks

ShabahZ280 10-22-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Mariah 258 (Post 55457)

Can I use any generic 4 position switch from west marine.... Thanks

Yes, any ignition switch will work as long as you get the connections right! Taking photos, or writing down the colors before removing the old switch will make things much easier

99 Mariah 258 10-22-2014 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ280 (Post 55468)
Yes, any ignition switch will work as long as you get the connections right! Taking photos, or writing down the colors before removing the old switch will make things much easier

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to swap it out today. Pretty sure it's the problem......I'm actually glad I changed my starter cause I got to clean up everything and change my wiring leads to avoid future problems.....

Check out my old starter..