The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Vibration on Maximum turning/steering (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/8437-vibration-maximum-turning-steering.html)

woodward33 07-08-2013 03:51 PM

Vibration on Maximum turning/steering

Hello,

Hoping for some insight here.

Have a '99 Z302 w/ a 502 and Bravo III outdrive. Had it out for all four days of the holiday weekend. There has always been a little play in the steering wheel before it actually starts turning the outdrive, but over the past weekend it feels like the amount of play has increased. What concerns me more is that now (it didn't do this before) when I'm turning all the way to the left or right at idle speed (e.g. when I'm docking or turning the boat around) the wheel really starts to shimmy. In fact, you can feel this vibration in the whole boat (under your feet, in the front.) I guess what I'm saying is its VERY noticeable. Any idea what it might be?

I pulled the boat out of the water last night and everything around the outdrive appears to be in normal order. Anybody else ever experience this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ColoradoDiablo 07-08-2013 04:56 PM

Re: Vibration on Maximum turning/steering

Do you have Std Power Steering or Hydraulic Steering on her woodward?
Have you checked fluid levels?
Could be a leak on pressure side of pump. Just a thought or two.

woodward33 07-08-2013 06:38 PM

Thanks, Larry.

Standard power steering. Fluid levels look good.

Need to feel around the pump for fluid. Will do that next.

Firestone 07-18-2017 10:17 PM

What was the fix?

woodward33 07-19-2017 01:06 PM

I had my boat yard check it out and they told me not to worry about it -- that it was probably a U-joint and was a "winter job." Which now days I realize is boat mechanic speak for "That's too big a job for me to deal with right now because I'm super lazy, which is why I became a boat mechanic in the first place."

2 days later the boat left me stranded in the middle of Lake Michigan...

Paid Boat U.S. $1400 to tow me 12 miles back to my boat yard. At that point a NEW mechanic determined that my coupler had gone bad. Coupler itself was about $200 for the part, but to access it the lower unit AND motor had to be hoisted out of my boat. $5000 later I was back on the water no longer had that vibration when turning.

Firestone 07-19-2017 01:48 PM

Ouch! Thanks For The info. I am currently having some issues with mine. The outdrive was pulled by mechanic and it looked fine. He was going to check steering next. Was there any sound coming from issue prior to failure? Mine is making a clicking noise that keeps getting worse then the vibration started.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

woodward33 07-19-2017 03:29 PM

No noise at all. When it finally gave out I was in gear moving forward at idle speed and next thing I knew I was slowing to a stop. Moved the gear shift between forward and reverse and tried applying the throttle and it was like revving the engine in neutral. I was 100% dead in the water.

I sure hope that's not your issue. As I stated, the only warning I had was that vibration that seemed to get worse when the steering wheel was turned all the way to one side or the other while under power (like idle power)

Good luck.

doaclnr 08-02-2017 08:38 PM

My 99 302 with a duo prop does that when I first start it up but then quits when I turn the wheel a couple of times...

Firestone 08-04-2017 01:58 PM

Turns out I had sever as l broken teeth in the outdrive. I am now in the process of getting a new one .....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Firestone 08-04-2017 06:53 PM

Here is a video if you want to hear it for yourself.

https://youtu.be/UEbzAVAPJ9Q