The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Summer Maintenance Questions.... (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/8288-summer-maintenance-questions.html)

nglauer 06-14-2013 06:27 AM

Summer Maintenance Questions....

For the last few season's I have had a local marina winterize and maintain my boat. However at the end of this season I did it myself.

I actually purchased a kit called "WinterFlush"

Our Products : Winterizing Boats : Boat Oil Change Kit : Marine Corrosion Control : Oil Pump : Winterize Boats : Lubrimatic Grease Gun : Stabil Fuel Additive : Gear Oil

I used it to winterize my boat and two other boats and was very satisfied.

I changed the oil in the lower unit.. and fogged the carb really well. I also used the Stabil Marine formula/ethanol treatment.

However, I did not change the oil in my boat (was changed at the beginning of the season, and we were lucky to run the boat a total of 4 hours - if even that much last season).

My question will sound stupid - but what should I do going into this season?

Should I change plugs, wires, fuel filter? Do I need to change the oil? It looks very clean.. and I don't mind changing it - I just wasn't sure how necessary it was since we didn't get to run it but a few trips last season.

Also - what oil should I use? Do I run synthetic etc.? or do I need something labeled by Mercruiser?

Thanks again! Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm just used to sticking the muffs on it and firing it up lol.. hopefully this summer goes as well for me.. as it did for the other two boats I winterized.

I'll also do a How To and Review regarding the WinterFlush kit - incase anyone is interested in it. I highly suggest it, especially if you want to save some money over the long term.

Dozer 06-14-2013 03:18 PM

You should probably add changing your water separator/fuel filter when you winterized, especially with ethanol fuel incase there's water in it. Wouldn't want it freezing. Plugs and wires if the engine isn't running well. They should last a few seasons, especially with the hours you put on it last year.

ColoradoDiablo 06-14-2013 03:33 PM

Re: Summer Maintenance Questions....

Fixed it for ya Dozer :)

nglauer 06-14-2013 04:23 PM

Re: Summer Maintenance Questions....

I'm going to check if I have a water separator on my boat, if not i will be adding one. I've looked at a few different kits online. I really like the Raycor Marine unit with the clear bowl - however it says that it is not coast guard approved for an application like mine. The metal one would work, but it would be nice to visibly see water without trying to drain it for verification.

Also - what types of oil are you guys running? I used to run Mobile One Full Synthetic in all of my vehicles... and have ran Redline and Lucas products as well.

What about spark plugs - anyone running iridium - or any other type of gimmicky plug like the E3 plugs in their boat? I have almost always ran NGK in my vehicles - curious what you guys think in regards to plugs and wires? I don't mind cutting my own set of wires either - unless that isn't recommended. I'm just wondering if adding a better coil etc. would be worth it, as I have not changed anything since I purchased it roughly 4 years ago.

Thanks,
Nick

Dozer 06-14-2013 08:34 PM

Thank you Larry!!