The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Oil Leak From Water Intake (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/5990-oil-leak-water-intake.html)

Slash9point5 08-06-2011 05:10 AM

Oil Leak From Water Intake

Walked out to the garage today to discover an oil puddle under my outdrive...

Here is what I know so far:

1) The leak appears to be coming from the water intake holes in the lower portion of the outdrive.

2) I checked the Gear Lube Oil Reservoir for the outdrive and that was at the "Full" line.

3) I checked the Engine Oil and that was at the "Full" line.

4) I checked the ATF for the Trim Motor and it was just under "Minimum". Unfortunately, I don't know for sure if this was the level prior to the oil puddle because for some reason checking the Trim motor is not on my pre-boating checklist (all other oil levels are, and it will now be added).

5) The power trim has been mildly acting up. The gauge was indicating that the drive would not go all the way down, although it appeared to. So I was thinking that it was possibily a gauge issue, but now I am not so sure.

Here is my question:

Considering this is the only oil level that is low, would it seem reasonible that this is where the leak is coming from? However, I can't quite figure out how a leak from the power trim system would get into the outdrive to be able to leak out the water intake holes (but I am not that familiar with the system).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day,

Kris

DFZ272 08-09-2011 01:23 PM

Re: Oil Leak From Water Intake

Kris, the only way I have ever seen oil coming out of the intake ports is from a seal leak along the drive shaft that drives the impeller and lower unit,or the oiling passage from the gearcase(lower part of the outdrive) to the top gearcase on the upper part of the outdrive. The lower portion of the outdrive pumps oil to the upper and then it drains back down. Most gear oils have a specific smell and ATF is a different color from gear oil. Have u drained any of your gear oil to see if it has water in it? Just a couple of things to check
Happy Boating
Dan

Slash9point5 08-09-2011 07:42 PM

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your response. I needed this issue resolved quickly (heading up to a cabin tomorrow), so into the shop it went. After looking through some information, I was also convinced it had to be drive oil. After the pressure test, it was pretty clear that the oil was from the drive. So he is taking it apart and hopefully it is just a seal or gasket.

Amazingly, the drive oil visual reservoir remained basically at the "Full" line this entire time and there was not any indication of water in the drive oil at the reservoir or in the drive itself.

I'll post another update with the true cause when I know it.

Thanks again,

Kris

DFZ272 08-09-2011 08:18 PM

I look forward to hearing the outcome. I am one of those people who like to know not just the what, but also the why, lol. Hope everything works out fine.
Happy Boating
Dan

Slash9point5 08-15-2011 02:28 PM

Final update:

The seal carrier underneath the water pump housing was leaking. Operated all weekend without issue.

Thank you all for your help,

Kris